What age do you think it is appropriate to teach a child to shoot?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

powdernlead

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was given a single shot "Chipmunk"(bolt action with need to cock hammer to fire) in .22lr as a kid, and can remember shooting my 30 carbine when I was about 3. My son is now 5 and I would like to take him to the range with the chipmunk. The wife says he is too young. w
What is your opinion? Thanks

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not at all. I've had kids as young as 3 sit in my lap and fire a .22 with me controlling the firearm. We have pictures of my neighbors kid shooting my M11 9mm on semi when he was 5. They always get a kick out of stuff like that.

5 is that perfect age to start them. The gun safety requirements and seriousness of the situation instill a sense of responsibility and maturity that makes them yearn for more. We treat it as a learning situation and they have to be able to recite the 4 basic rules of gun safety before they're allowed to control the firearm without assistance.

Mitch Rapp

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Load him up! My boy is 16 months and he already knows how to hold a handgun.

He also hands me my magazines while I'm dry firing and working on reloads

+1 my daughter always chases mags for me during reload practice. And anytime I get a new gun I sit down with my kiddos, let them see and handle it, all under close supervision. I think one of the main ways kids get into trouble with guns it because of the curiosity involved when they are always hidden from them.

bink98xcab

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i was probably 5 and my daughter was 4 when i took her out for the first time, and wouldnt you know it was a 10/22. i think its great for them to be young, it seems to stick better (gun safety) when they're young and not to proud to be taught

ewheeley

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree with familiarizing them as young as possible. I was about six when my dad let me shoot, but I was immediately punished for shooting the Red Ryder straight up in the air. Rest assured I never did that again. I think most accidental shooting deaths could be avoided if the gun owners and parents took the time to educate their children about the weapons, and the respect they deserve, rather than pushing the issue under the rug. If parents avoid it, it just becomes the subject of typical childhood curiosity, and therefore a risk.

Latest posts

Top Bottom