What age do you think it is appropriate to teach a child to shoot?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
With the correct supervision and saftey lessons the earlier the better IMO.

I agree. After that it all depends on the kid.
Do they want to learn how to shoot or is it just you wanting them to learn.
I think it will last longer and with better effect if it's them wanting to learn.

The Cleaner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My son is seven and has passed his hunter safety course an been shooting with me for the last three years. He killed his first duck last season and has fired every thing from the .17 to the .357. He is very safety conscious even reminding dad to put the safety on when the guns are empty.

schlockinz

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think I got my chipmunk at 5. I could shoot it if my dad was there behind me, otherwise I could run around with my red rider.

I think a pellet gun might be a better start, then you can teach your kid to shoot those damned squirrels, and no one will get too mad at him (at least compared to how they'd treat a grown up)

JWE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
5 is plenty. My son is 3 and helps me when I reload. Basically I drop the powder into the case after it's been weighed. Then hand it to him, he puts it in the press. And seats the bullet then hands it to me to measure.

Kids are great!!

jimeradams

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree that familiarization should start early. It was a proud day for me when I finally got to shoot my Dad's Browning .22 autoloader and his Ruger Single-six. I was about 8 or 9. Good times!

powdernlead

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thank you all for your input! My son definately wants to learn to shoot. Every time I get my gear out to make a trip to the range he asks if he gets to go "this time". I guess I'll have to keep working on the little lady. I was 10 before I was allowed to shoot my 22 without assistance, but I was taught the basics and safety starting arround 3.

okiefarmer1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If they like it as early as possible. safety,safety,safety. If you can't turn him loose with BB gun get him a airsoft. My oldest is 6, he loves to shoot and the youngin is 17months and carrys a nerf pistol all over the house.:thumb:

Latest posts

Top Bottom