What are you listening to today?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raido Free America

Radio Free America
Special Hen
Reaction score
First let me say, Americans have a EARNED right to like, or dislike, anything they choose, including the type music they choose!! My preference is Bluegrass Music, acoustic music, Folk Music, etc. that is well done! I find this music the be REAL, HONEST, music that basically tells this countries story!! There is a new kid on the block, Billy Strings, that is re-introducing this old music, to a whole new generations of Americans!! This kid has tatoos, long hair, etc. but he is also a PRODIGY MUSICIAN, that will likely be concidered the best guitar player that ever lived! He was raised dirt poor, by a totally disfuctional family of drug addicts. The only family I have heard him mention, is his step father that is a very good guitar player, that raised, and inspired Billy. Just one story to give insite to Billy nature, His step father was forced to sell the only thing they owned of any value, his Martin Guitar, inorder to have the utilities turned back on, in a rent house, in upper Michigan! Billy started earninga little money as a young kid picking locally, he went to the guy that bought his stepfathers guitar and made a deal to buy it back by paying it out in installments. It was about $1,200.00 I think. When he had payed for it, he gave it back to his step father. Now Billy Strings, a name given him by his grand mother, plays to HUGE, SOLD OUT CROWDS, OF MOSTLY YOUNG AMERICANS, that LOVE and apptreate this great music, and buy hign dollar tickets! His mintor, is Doc Watson, a blind from birth Guitar MASTER, that was self taught, and a LEGND IN THE MUSIC BUSINESS! Billy has a concert scheduled for June, 7th, at the BOK Center Tulsa! My son, grandson, furtue son in law, and I, pickers all, are going. I'm old and don't know how to post a video here, check him out on You-tube!! This kid is reaching young people in a way older performers never could, and I for one think that is GREAT!!!!!!

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
First let me say, Americans have a EARNED right to like, or dislike, anything they choose, including the type music they choose!! My preference is Bluegrass Music, acoustic music, Folk Music, etc. that is well done! I find this music the be REAL, HONEST, music that basically tells this countries story!! There is a new kid on the block, Billy Strings, that is re-introducing this old music, to a whole new generations of Americans!! This kid has tatoos, long hair, etc. but he is also a PRODIGY MUSICIAN, that will likely be concidered the best guitar player that ever lived! He was raised dirt poor, by a totally disfuctional family of drug addicts. The only family I have heard him mention, is his step father that is a very good guitar player, that raised, and inspired Billy. Just one story to give insite to Billy nature, His step father was forced to sell the only thing they owned of any value, his Martin Guitar, inorder to have the utilities turned back on, in a rent house, in upper Michigan! Billy started earninga little money as a young kid picking locally, he went to the guy that bought his stepfathers guitar and made a deal to buy it back by paying it out in installments. It was about $1,200.00 I think. When he had payed for it, he gave it back to his step father. Now Billy Strings, a name given him by his grand mother, plays to HUGE, SOLD OUT CROWDS, OF MOSTLY YOUNG AMERICANS, that LOVE and apptreate this great music, and buy hign dollar tickets! His mintor, is Doc Watson, a blind from birth Guitar MASTER, that was self taught, and a LEGND IN THE MUSIC BUSINESS! Billy has a concert scheduled for June, 7th, at the BOK Center Tulsa! My son, grandson, furtue son in law, and I, pickers all, are going. I'm old and don't know how to post a video here, check him out on You-tube!! This kid is reaching young people in a way older performers never could, and I for one think that is GREAT!!!!!!
I've been listening to some of Billy Strings music for a few years now. He is very talented.

You might be surprised. From what I've seen, he does a lot more than bluegrass.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score

Look past the goofy clothes and just see the talent AND the voice coming out of a 15 year old kid! Could there have been any doubt that he was destined to be one of the, all time, greats...

Awesome blues voice in that older video. I need to find more of that. Even though I believe he was a little older than fifteen there, he was and still remains a very talented singer and musician that we don't seem to hear enough of.

Tinytim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks, I just added BS to my playlist.
Pretty sure he was at a blues festival, some years back , at Dripping Springs lake.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is it really a cover of the original artist is performing in it?

I listened to the release of this album on Radio Margaritaville; I still remember Jimmy talking about the ideas he had for it that he wanted to discuss with Mark Knopfler, then saying, what am I thinking? I’m not going to tell Mark Knopfler how to play guitar on his own song…

Here’s Mark’s version for reference:

elwoodtrix

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The original video is at least 10 years old. And yes, he's pretty badass!

OkieJoe72

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Billy Strings has a God given talent for picking a guitar. Here’s one of him playing with a fiddle player by the name of Michael Cleveland. Michael is another example of a person with a God given talent.

Here’s one of Michael Cleveland meeting Doc Watson for the first time when Michael was a young kid. They both are blind and have an amazing musical ability. Doc Watson is one of my favorite pickers.

Here’s one of Billy Strings covering a Doc Watson original “Southbound” which was written by Merle Watson, Doc’s son. Doc name him after Merle Travis.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My oldest daughter and her family had dinner with us last night and our conversation almost always turns to music. She was talking about some of the stuff she used to listen to when she was in Jr. high/high school (she's 32 now) and these were some of her favorites...

Latest posts

Top Bottom