What did you do in the reloading room today?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Did you adjust parallax on the scope when you shot at that longer distance.

And did you adjust it and move your eye position side to side and up and down slightly while looking through the scope and make absolutely sure it was set spot on?

I am sure you probably did but just mentioning it.

My scopes with Parallax settings are not marked where they should be.
100 yard mark is never exactly parallax free at 100 I have to "fine tune" it.

It is the 2nd thing I check, right after elevation.

I have found that as a general rule, the parallax tends to be closer to the correct indicator marks on the dial as scope prices increase...not always exact, but pretty close.

I think that I might have been the victim of running a smaller sample size. Sometimes we luck out and everything accidentally falls into place for one group. Literally .2gr above and below that load were ~.8 MOA...so I'm going to assume that is a fairly wide window of about a half grain where I can get repeatable sub-MOA performance out of a semi-auto. That brings my sample size to (4) 5-shot groups instead of one...with a "lucky" .5 MOA one in there.

I learned my lesson with single groups about 20 years ago when I shot a .289" three-shot group during load development for a .308. I got so excited like a little circus boy that I went home and loaded 100 of that recipe...only to discover that the load was a consistent ~ MOA shooter 😄.

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’ve never loaded steel shot, and I’m curious to know how much cost savings there is in rolling your own. No more than I duck hunt, I really don’t need to go down that rabbit hole, but I love loading shotgun ammo.
I average less than $10 a box for my steel shot loads.

12 ga.

2 3/4"

7/8 oz.

Buffered

1,650 fps.

10,200 psi.

Depending on gun, barrel and choke, loads perform very well @ 20 yards over decoys, and out to 60 yards pass shooting, or anywhere in between.

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Didn’t realize I was running short on 300 HAM’R ammo so I loaded up 40 rds for some plinking.

Also loaded some 308 test loads using H4895 under some 165 gr Sierras to try to dial in the M1a National Match.
WLR primers, mixed head stamp military brass, 41.5 gr H4895, 165 gr Sierra BT, COAL = 2.750, Lee factory crimp and got approximately 3/4” group.

42.0 gr yielded just under 1” group.

IMG_4513.jpeg

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Darn it!

Cleaned -Annealed- Brushed- Lubed- Sized- Removed lube from outside of cases with towels-
Removed lube form inside necks with Qtips.

Did not get all the 250+ rounds of case necks cleaned of lube and went to bed.

Got up this morning and finished that task.
Then put the cases on the bench for priming. I primed 2 cases and noticed No chamfer!

Darn it comes into play here.
I have not measured and sorted cases to see which ones need trimmed and I obviously need to trim and chamfer then brush once more before priming.

Got ahead of myself.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Loaded some Nosler flat base 55 gr and Nosler boat tail 40 gr over N133 powder in .223 brass.
CCI 450 primers.
Thinking of hitting the range Friday morning to try both out in the bolt 1:9 and ar in 1:7 twist.
I stuck a different scope on the 1:7 rifle.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I made loads the other day with H4895 powder and 50gr v-max 55 nosler and 55 v-max all print well and in the same spot with 25.0gr in .223 cases. the 40 gr vs 50 gr loads the 40 was lower on paper.
I was using the same amount of powder.

Today i am depriming and cleaning range brass.
so far only 350 9mm cases have been deprimed and in the pin cleaner.

Latest posts

Top Bottom