What did you do in the reloading room today?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slyhuntr

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No pics but I loaded some 300BO this evening. Need to sort the brass I bought from https://www.sasquatchbrass.com/my-account/view-order/2354/, as I had some primers hang up during seating on my Dillion 550B press. I was loading them with pulled 174g 308 pills from some old 303 rounds and using old Winchester 296 powder in an old metal can. I think the problem child’s were some crimped primers as they were hanging up. I’ll try to get some pics tomorrow as Jim Beam has gotten a hold on me tonight.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’ve mentioned before that I buy “lots” of reloading supplies at estate sales, and I tested some powder and primers yesterday from one of my finds.
The Win 209 primers originally cost $2.59, the 4# of Green Dot cost $45.97, and the pound of Win Super Lite cost $12.37.
Buying this stuff from random people and not knowing how it’s been stored is a gamble, but I’ve been lucky to never have gotten a bad batch…so far.
View attachment 491455
View attachment 491456
View attachment 491457
I have "taken a chance" several times. Never had a problem, but the nervous doubt is always there, for the first few shots.

While the hurricane has me holed up in the barn, I’m trying to get a better handle on loading 410 ammo. Basically, I’m only using the MEC for depriming/priming and crimping, because powder and shot drops are inconsistent and have to many “hang ups”. I’m using an electronic scale to accurately measure the powder and shot, and it takes a few taps to get the shot “seated” for crimping. It’s slow, but the results are exponentially better.
FYI, I’m using load data from the Lyman 3rd edition before the lawyers started neutering Hodgdon. The load I used called for 17 grains Win 296, but the current data shows a max of 14.5 grains with all else being the same.
View attachment 492539

I love my MEC loaders, but .410 is a different critter. I have a fairly complete assortment of Lee scoops. Checking powder and shot weights on the scale, to determine which scoop to use. Dipping and powder and shot goes much faster.
Loading .444 Marlin brass for .410 is fun, too.

Letfreedomring

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It was yesterday, but I prepped 52 pieces of starline 6.5 CM brass and I'm not sure what they have to do final trim, but it looked like they contracted the job out to Master Splinter... For the boomers, Master Splinter was a giant rat that helped the teenage mutant ninja turtles fight crime and was their sensei.:teach: The lengths were all over the place and no visible annealing like Lapua brass so just hoping for the best. Can't complain too much since it was half the price of Lapua.
I just wish that every time I start messing with my reloading stuff that I didn't time warp. Because by the time I fixed my reloading bench, got setup and worked the brass, the whole day was shot.:cry3:

Fr Mulcahy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It was yesterday, but I prepped 52 pieces of starline 6.5 CM brass and I'm not sure what they have to do final trim, but it looked like they contracted the job out to Master Splinter... For the boomers, Master Splinter was a giant rat that helped the teenage mutant ninja turtles fight crime and was their sensei.:teach: The lengths were all over the place and no visible annealing like Lapua brass so just hoping for the best. Can't complain too much since it was half the price of Lapua.
I just wish that every time I start messing with my reloading stuff that I didn't time warp. Because by the time I fixed my reloading bench, got setup and worked the brass, the whole day was shot.:cry3:
I'm a Baby Boomer, and we were collecting TMNT comics in glorious b&w back in the mid 1980's. So we know who Splinter was/is.

greytdanehouse

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Couple days worth of work, but it's been so dang hot during the day that I've been mostly doing stuff indoors. When I was doing anything at all. 1172 pieces of .308 brass. Trimmed to 2.008" and then deburred the inside and outside of the case neck. I'm perfectly fine using the hand crank on my Hornady Cam-Lock trimmer, but having two cheap cordless drills is an absolute must for that last part.

20240716_092356.jpg

sorted and bagged by headstamp and each primed with either Winchester or Federal Gold Medal primers. all ready to load up.

20240716_091305.jpg

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Cast, checked, sized and lubed a batch of projectiles intended for the Finn M39 rifles.

Here they are, as in the Aerosmith song "Walking the Dog":
"... pretty maids all in a row...."
20240815_074400.jpg

This is less than 1/2 of the batch, maybe 230-240 pieces. I weighed but didnt count. That bin is 4 layers deep.
The whole batch should do me for about 6 months.

Latest posts

Top Bottom