1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.
  2. All members receive 3 free listings a month. Get unlimited listings for just $10 a year! Click here for all the info.

What do you consider a good group

Discussion in 'Ammo & Reloading' started by kwaynem, Apr 18, 2021.

1. El Pablo

El Pablo Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    I don’t assume my stuff is sub moa, I’m not. I don’t really care. It’s all MOGoodEnough. I don’t go into the field with sandbags, rests, etc. as such, I don’t practice that way. My marlin 30/30 is prob not moa. It doesn’t need to be for my use case either. My 7mm-08 model seven is close with my crappy shooting, if I wait between shots. The barrel heats up fast. No idea yet on my 6.5 gren or tikka 17hmr yet, or the 18 in ar I’m building... Id expect them to be really close if I can hold up my end.

if I were antelope hunting or precision target shooting.. that would be one thing. I don’t do that though. My point was mission and my skill level dictates what I consider good enough. I judge how far I can shoot based on 4 in groups, the gun, and firing positions.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2021
    BReeves, kwaynem and Rez Exelon like this.
  2. Rez Exelon

Rez Exelon Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    I have more stuff than I'll ever shoot to perfection. It's just fun to try to keep dialing things in and having projects.

kwaynem likes this.
  3. El Pablo

El Pablo Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    I’m under no delusions I need to dial in the nut behind the trigger before even bothering with anything else.

Matt Giroux, Rez Exelon and kwaynem like this.
  4. Kev1Doggy

Kev1Doggy Marksman

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    I am shooting the same load you are , except 140 VLD. Iwasnt happy with my load at .060 jump so I seated 3 at .080, 3 at.100 3 at .120 and shot them. When i got to the .100 it started getting better and the .120 was a lot better so any way I ended up with a jump of .140 and it is shooting a lot better

kwaynem likes this.
  5. Profreedomokie

Profreedomokie Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    Pink Floyd

O4L and swampratt like this.
  6. magna19

magna19 Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    What type of gun are you shooting?

7. kwaynem

kwaynem Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Savage axis II I had a heavy barrel creedmoor but believe it or not this one out shot it

O4L likes this.
  8. HoLeChit

HoLeChit Semper Fidelis

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    i kinda go for this idea. 1-1.5 Moa at 100yds, pie plate for 350ish yards or less. I don’t do precision stuff, just want to make clean, precise hits on game. I heard a guy talking a while back on another board that he practices like this: with target the size of the kill zone of whatever animal youre pursuing, you need to make one hit per yard you want to shoot. So for me, if I’m going after a pig, a pie plate is a good representation of making a vital hit. At 25 yards I need to hit the pie plate 25 times. Move to 100yds. At 100 yards I need to hit the plate 75 times. At 200 yards I need to hit it another 100 times. Move out to 300, I hit it another 100 times. This process uses a ton of ammo and time, but it builds confidence and tons of muscle memory. If I’m limited on range distance, I make the target smaller to compensate. I haven’t practiced this to the T, but I like the concept and the pie plate accuracy concept works well with this practice.

Honey Badger and kwaynem like this.