What is life like in Oklahoma?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
But I still love it here ... I was born here, raised here, lived here all my life (except for a couple of adventures to Corpus Christie and another to New Orleans), and God willing I will die here.

Now I know where BB got that wheelbarrow full of bead necklaces!!! ;)

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Now I know where BB got that wheelbarrow full of bead necklaces!!! ;)

;) And I lived in a Holiday Inn while I was there ... no seriously ... :mosh:

Honestly, it was a great job and a great time but I missed Oklahoma terribly ... and my brand-spanking new baby boy cried the whole time we were there ... he hated the humidity!

jstaylor62

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am a born and raised Oklahoman. One side of my family made the Cherokee Strip Land Run and helped established Seiling, OK. The other side made the Land Run that settled in Drumright, OK. My Grandfather grew up knowing Jim Thorpe. So yeah, I have a little bit of Oklahoma bias in my blood.

I have turned down jobs in California, Texas and the DC area mainly becuase of the cost of living. Housing costs ( price per square foot, insurance, property taxes, utility costs ) in Oklahoma are some of the best in the country. But Oklahoma's biggest asset is her people. People are more laid back and very helpful. Somebody will always wave and let you merge into traffic. Try to find that in TexASS!

As for things to do, its like any other place in the world. You make your own fun and entertainment. I'm not the weak type of person that has to depend somebody entertain me. There is a wide spectrum of interests in Oklahoma for you to find things to do.

Are there other places I would like to live? If money were no object I'd have a beach house in the Florida Keys and a hunting cabin in Montana. But that is not the case for me.

Okiedog

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Except for 1 yr. in Illinois, 1 yr. in Indiana, and 3 yrs in Ks, the remainder of my 62 yrs. have been spent in Ok. I wouldn't trade one acre of southern Carter county for those three states combined.

buckeye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
True, there's not much nightlife or standard weekend entertainment here. And that's a good thing. And you know why? People here actually DO things instead of wandering out into the world hoping somebody else will hand them entertainment with no effort. Glue Daubers (model airplane club), rugby league, ham radio, autocross, bicycle clubs, shooting and gun clubs, etc etc. It's all here and populated by folks who like to live for themselves, not depend on somebody else to invent, execute and maintain on hobby on their behalf.

The people are this state's greatest asset for that reason and many others.

BobBarker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Born and raised in oklahoma, probably will never leave as it is a good place to work in my field. If you want to live in a place like Antlers, I would move to SE Missouri. Better lakes, outdoors stuff, and less meth. If you think the people in Florida are crazy, you will think the same of the people in SE oklahoma. People listing difference in property values havent looked at property in FL recently. Its the same or less than Oklahoma in areas outside of Miami.

Keyser328

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm a California transplant. I've been here a dozen odd years now, and while there are some things that are... annoying (like yield signs on freeway on ramps, wtfo?), overall the area is pretty nice.

There is a lot to see, in truth. The cities are not as "polished' as the coastal tourist towns, but that's really the only thing that stands out. The people here are generally nicer than where I grew up, and we don't have many yuppies to speak of.

2. Beautiful girls. Florida Girls are so cliche. Real hot chicks come from Oklahoma.

Heh... How to properly pronounce Okla - homa:

awww.manbottle.com_pictures_okla_homa.jpg

soonersfan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Right now I would say Oklahoma sucks because I have been absolutely miserable with all the tree pollen in the air for the last month. My head hurts, my eyes hurt, blah, blah, blah... Once the pollen comes back down and I feel human again, I'll be back to my normal opinion. Oklahoma is a pretty good place to raise a family, especially if you are conservative. The people are about the friendliest you will find anywhere. Just look at how many responses you've gotten to your post. The weather is usually windy and always unpredictable. I never lack for things to do but I spend plenty of time hanging out with family and friends, going to the lake, etc., etc. If I needed to go bar hopping or someone else to entertain me, I may not like it here as much. I don't ever plan on leaving but I am going to drop some $$$ at the allergy clinic.

Latest posts

Top Bottom