What is the absolute worst

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For 1 summer week... I sold Kirby vacuum cleaners door to door. It was basically like "scared straight" for students considering dropping out of college.

I'm sorry but you made me lol ... That's how I felt at my summer job at a dry cleaners when I was in college. It still wasn't as bad as the Tax Commission was though ...

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dishwasher, did it for 3 weeks and quit to become a carwash employee. Way easier gig and good looking girls worked there too, no good looking girls in the kitchen where I was washing dishes. This was back when I was 15/16.

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pest control company:

Been there, done that. I worked for Orkin about six months after I graduated college. Until you've seen it with your own eyes, you would not believe how nasty some people live. Been in some pretty disgusting houses.

Harley1953

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have no jobs that even come close to those already posted, but have to share a job a former co-worker had. He told me that he had worked for a pig farm in Western OK right after high school. His job was as you would expect, feeding pigs, cleaning out the stalls,etc.

The part that convinced him he had to find a new line of work was when he was tasked with collecting semen from the boar pigs for use in artificial insemination. Another co-worker and I asked how that was done.. He described this process!! Happy endings for the pig... Not too much for the guy doing collecting..

We asked if his job title was "Master-baiter"..........

maxim240sx

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have to say working as a detention officer for oklahoma county sheriff. It was super depressing each day having to go to work. I did it for about a year and finally quit. The pay was even worse then the horribly unsafe working conditions. Only other really crappy job was an equipment operator at baker hughes. Yeah the pay is great, but working 20 straight hours in flame retardant coverall's kinda blows.

cal7.62x39

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
ok well I have had 2 fairly bad jobs... I worked as a door to door meat salesman for about 6 months... I feel sorry for the people that actually buy the stuff and dont realize how bad they got scammed. BUT I think I have most of you beat... I worked in hell aka GunWorld for Mike Mathews loved the environment and field I worked, but the store and the owner was a nightmare... the only days that were tolerable were the days that Mike was not in the store, but then he was usually calling me all day riding my @$$ over the phone.

dru

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I worked as a tutor at OSU-OKC. That job sucked because it made me realize just how deep of shite we are all in. The endless parade of suck and fail that came through those doors to get "help" Yeah they needed help but mostly of a professional psychiatric variety. Students who couldnt' speak english and were in freaking chemistry. students who would come in a week before finals with the shrink wrap on their book. students who would openly try to get us to take their computerized tests for them. students who would be in a college algebra or intermediate algebra class and say in response to the question "What is 7 x -1" by saying "uhhhhm its 6....no wait its -6" My own boss who was the "lead tutor" basically couldn't tutor a student out of a paper bag.

There were a few redeeming bright spots. I genuinely enjoyed tutoring those who wanted to better themselves and who wanted to succeed. I worked with many students over the course of an entire semester and became good friends with them. Sadly, the vast majority just wanted the answers without working for it, and to "pass" the class so that they could go on and take the next class. It was really hard telling them that because they waited until the last minute to get help that there wasn't anything we could do for them and that they were wasting our time and theirs. sucked but that was the truth. My co-workers and I devised a list of nicknames of our more tedious clientele as a way of passing the time. Even one of my co-workers decided that it would be a good idea for him to test whether he was allergic to peanuts by throwing a mouthful of peanut m&m's into his mouth...yeah, there weren't a lot of PhD candidates up there.

Fortunately I got into grad school and now don't have to work at something that is soul-suckingly awful

gaseous maximus

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Can anything be worse than working for walmart? Did that for little over a year.
Try a grain elevator in the summer. The heat in the tanks, which have to be swept periodically, and the grain dust in the tunnel, and pit at the bottom of the leg simply, can't be described. About 3 or 4 summers worth. I've also picked cotton and bucked hay bales, but this was the worst.

dowmace

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
gaseous maximus said:
Try a grain elevator in the summer. The heat in the tanks, which have to be swept periodically, and the grain dust in the tunnel, and pit at the bottom of the leg simply, can't be described. About 3 or 4 summers worth. I've also picked cotton and bucked hay bales, but this was the worst.

Try a fertilizer and grain elevator. Ammonium nitrate gets nasty when leaking out of the bottom of a leg full of water.

Latest posts

Top Bottom