What lubricant do you use on your firearms?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SgtMojo67

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Reading the post on the long term storage made me curious.

I actually use synthetic motor oil. Reason being; it's about $5 a quart. For those of you who use Rem oil, do you ever notice how your gun is dry after a couple of weeks? (also it is a little over $3 for a tiny amount) Since motor oil is designed to not break down under high heat, it works wonders and last forever. I took an empty travel size contact solutiong bottle and filled it with the oil and use it as a dropper. I got the idea of the synthetic motor oil from my Capt. at the PD who has been our swat team sniper for the last 20 years. After using for over a year now, I really like how it works.

Anyhow you should try it sometime and let me know what you think (I'm sure some of you have or do use it)

Now I'm curious as to what you guys/gals use on your firearms....

VitruvianDoc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am not that educated in the area of oils and lubricants but I know most motor oil contains some harsh detergents and additives which may not act friendly with guns.

bernardderek

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
ky lube...

Just kidding I use Rem oil, but that is just because it is what I have. I am curious to see what everyone else uses and I may try the motor oil thing.

Super Dave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use different things.

Some guns get Remington's oil, whatever it's called. Some get that one that has the needle attached. Wow. I can't seem to remember anything. Some get Harley-Davidson, non-fibrous wheel bearing grease. I have a surplus of it. It's made to take heat, and is good for clearances around .003" and bigger. It stays put well too. The blackpowder guns get Bore Butter. I love the smell of it.

Here's the thing about motor oil. It is engineered to preform best at certain operating temperatures. I don't think my hammer/trigger/cylinder/slide/whatever will ever get that hot. Now if I can ever swing a SMG...

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Out of habit I use Break Free and LSA. I've tried Militec as well with no significant results. For my older battle wagons I keep some grease around too.

What kind of lube isn't as important as lube. You can run a gun wet and dirty, but dirty and dry won't work out so good.

SgtMojo67

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am not that educated in the area of oils and lubricants but I know most motor oil contains some harsh detergents and additives which may not act friendly with guns.

I'm not well educated either, but IMO experience from someone you trust is priceless. It hasn't had any adverse effects on my firearms. It works great!

VitruvianDoc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not well educated either, but IMO experience from someone you trust is priceless. It hasn't had any adverse effects on my firearms. It works great!

You mentioned its been used for 20 years and all so I'll give it a shot next time I clean my guns. Since they're glocks it'll be at least another 5k rounds (j/k lol). I have tons of synthetic 5w20 laying around since both vehicles use it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom