What the *&$# is on Fire!!!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

streak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Even the oaks and elms will go up like that when the fire line hits them. Green shrubs planted around house under the eves are really bad about setting houses on fire when line comes across.

The chain saw stays sharp and on the ready just for these occasions! I will destroy my landscape if it means I may save my house. saw a few pople last year that were going full blast with the plow and brush hogs just knocking down everything they could around them to save their house and barns after the railroad tracks caught fire.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Even the oaks and elms will go up like that when the fire line hits them. Green shrubs planted around house under the eves are really bad about setting houses on fire when line comes across.
Oaks and elms will go, but not like the cedars; those things go up so fast it's amazing that they don't explode. I remember watching coverage of a fire between Norman and Noble a few years ago; I was familiar with place, and had a good sense of scale. I'll never forget one particular tree; it was about 10-15 feet tall, but when the fire hit it, it was like someone had poured gasoline on the fire--the flames suddenly jumped up a good 50 feet in the air above the tree.

I always wondered about that 'til someone pointed out that they're essentially wicks full of turpentine. They sure look like it when they catch alight...

Latest posts

Top Bottom