What to buy for my first gun range gun

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The German

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have several guns that I use for hunting, only one .22 cal auto pistol. I am thinking about getting in to range shooting, specifically at Sgt Everett's Gun Range in Norman since it is close.

What caliber gun would you recommend (other than .22) that is cheap on ammo? I am not a "gun guy", but after seeing all the fun stuff at Super Daves gun show I could probably get in to it!

thefenux

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
9mm is probably the cheapest after .22. For my first handgun, I bought a 9mm so I'd be able to shoot it plenty and it's still a big enough caliber to carry every day. I went with a Glock 19 for a lot of the same reasons. It's big enough to shoot comfortably at the range and small enough to carry comfortably.

If you're not going to be carrying it too, the full size guns are probably the way to go. And there are lots of good choices out there.

Mr.357Sig

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yup, 9 is the way to go. Pretty cheap and very plentiful. I'd look at the CZ75B, CZ 75 SP-01 (steel frame, not Phantom), Glock 19/17, S&W M&P, Springfield XD & XDm and Sig Pro 2022.

zseese

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have to parrot these guys, 9mm is the next cheapest option, although I would recommend the S&W M&P over the glock just per personal preference, however I would also feel 100% confident in any of the polymer handgun offerings (springfield, Smith & Wesson, Glock, Kahr, etc), although I also prefer .40 over 9mm even though it is slightly more expensive.

P

Phadrian

If you want cheap on ammo get into reloading and bullet casting. It's alot more work but cheaper on ammo no matter what caliber you select with more variety and custom capability.

If you don't want to get into reloading get a 9mm or .45 Those two calibers seem to be most common.

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
#1. Glock 19 15+1 #2. Ruger LC9 6+1

http://www.glock.com/english/glock19.htm

http://www.ruger.com/products/lc9/index.html

A Glock 23 .40 cal 13+ 1 is the same size as a G19. You can get a Glock 23 3rd generation new w/ 3- 13 round mags for around $420 at Uncle Sam's in Lawton.

Plus if you get a G23 you can put a G32 barrel on it and have a .357 sig (or visa versa). Not to mention the 9mm conversion barrel, which means he can have a G19 9mm for cheeper fun/practice then swap barrels out and have a .40/.357 for a little extra in a carry.

Latest posts

Top Bottom