What to buy for my first gun range gun

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1fast8

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pretty much any full size 9mm.

The question becomes is this going to be a range gun only, or are you going to keep it on your nightstand also?

If the first, I'd pick an all steel, adjustable sighted 9mm. I have a 9mm 1911 that is a blast on the range.

If the latter, get a Glock, S&W M&P, Springfield XD or the like. They are uber reliable, high capacity, light for their size, reasonably accurate, and still fun to shoot.
I know I do not have the authority to do so butt I am going award NikatKimber most brilliant post in this thread award. congrats Nikat:thumbup3:

Area Man

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pretty much any full size 9mm.

The question becomes is this going to be a range gun only, or are you going to keep it on your nightstand also?

If the first, I'd pick an all steel, adjustable sighted 9mm. I have a 9mm 1911 that is a blast on the range.

If the latter, get a Glock, S&W M&P, Springfield XD or the like. They are uber reliable, high capacity, light for their size, reasonably accurate, and still fun to shoot.

Pretty much this. Go handle a few, and see which you like best. I personally own a Browning Hi Power and a Springfield XDM Compact in 9mm, as well as an XD 45 Tactical (different caliber, but I mention it because I'm familiar with the XD line, and it's both my range gun and nightstand gun). Of the three, I enjoy shooting the XDM the most. Excellent trigger and overall ergonomics. If I were in the market for something new along these lines, I'd look at the CZ75.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
9mm is great, but just to add another idea, I like K frame Revolvers, too.

Great accuracy and .38 is cheap but can be loaded up to the ultimate (IMO) cartridge, the .357 Magnum

Right here!!!! Get yourself a S&W model 14-3 or higher, good startup kit for reloading, and keep your loads soft! This way your model 14 will become almost boring to shoot!!

corwin1968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Gotta agree with all the folks saying 9mm. I only have one handgun that I purchased for multiple roles (range gun, home defense, conceal-carry) and it's a Glock 19. I'll never get rid of it. However, if I was buying a pistol solely for range purposes it would be a Beretta 92FS.

AtomicTango

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Glock 19 is more versatile than a full size 9mm, I love mine.

For range/nightstand use though, I vote CZ75; they are super reliable (mines never had so much as a hiccup), ridiculously comfortable ergonomics and the natural point of aim is fantastic. Plus they are less expensive than the Beretta 92fs, or Glock.

D

Doc Holiday

Pretty much this. Go handle a few, and see which you like best. I personally own a Browning Hi Power and a Springfield XDM Compact in 9mm, as well as an XD 45 Tactical (different caliber, but I mention it because I'm familiar with the XD line, and it's both my range gun and nightstand gun). Of the three, I enjoy shooting the XDM the most. Excellent trigger and overall ergonomics. If I were in the market for something new along these lines, I'd look at the CZ75.

Yep. Browning Hi Power. Put one in your hand and you will understand. New they are a little pricey though compared to some of the others.

Latest posts

Top Bottom