What to buy for my first gun range gun

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

slammed03gmc

9mm is really reasonable as far as ammo prices go. I just recently bought a Taurus .22lr revolver for shooting at the range or just around the house, it's by far the cheapest ammo 1000 rounds for around $40.

beast1989

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you get a Glock for the range I would definitely get the Glock 17 over the 19. The 17 is more conducive to range shooting with the longer sight radius and more grip room to place your hands. Also the Glock 17 isnt that large in my opinion.

I would definitely check out the Smith and Wesson M&Ps and the XDM line.

bigchuck83

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So many good full-size guns out there. For range use and 9mm I'd say beretta, M&P, XD, Glock, cz75 I lean more to Beretta but i say try em all and find what suits you best

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Pretty much any full size 9mm.

The question becomes is this going to be a range gun only, or are you going to keep it on your nightstand also?

If the first, I'd pick an all steel, adjustable sighted 9mm. I have a 9mm 1911 that is a blast on the range.

If the latter, get a Glock, S&W M&P, Springfield XD or the like. They are uber reliable, high capacity, light for their size, reasonably accurate, and still fun to shoot.

gregorius

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would also vote for the 9mm. You may want to just go to a range and rent different guns until you find something you like. That is what I am in the process of doing. I have been going to H&H off and on and renting different hand guns and using them at the range just to see what I like. I have pretty much already decided to get a 9mm semi auto of some sort, and a .357 magnum revolver, so I can keep that handy and I can practice with .38 special, which is cheaper than the .357 ammo.

M

milsniper240

thumbs up glock 19 double stack clip less reloading. easy to control not too smal. and a easy breakdown for cleaning and one of the best brands hands down. cheap ammo!

OKCShooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
9mm is great, but just to add another idea, I like K frame Revolvers, too.

Great accuracy and .38 is cheap but can be loaded up to the ultimate (IMO) cartridge, the .357 Magnum

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
if your buying your ammo then 9mm for sure. but like was mentioned, if you relaod the cost is fairly even across the board. $4-5 for any caliber. get into casting and the cost is almost cut in half. i am loading for $2.35-2.55 per box depending on caliber. ah, the sickness grows....

guaranteed to allow you to shoot more and you will enjoy it more also.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
thumbs up glock 19 double stack clip less reloading. easy to control not too smal. and a easy breakdown for cleaning and one of the best brands hands down. cheap ammo!

Why go for a 19 and not a full size, like the 17 since it's just a range gun (for now anyway)?

Latest posts

Top Bottom