What would be the most versatile semi-automatic shotgun?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Gas operated longevity?

I have a 16 ga. 1100 that Santa brought me 45 yrs ago. It has taken dove, quail, pheasants, turkey, teal, mallards, geese, sandhill crane, snipe, rabbits, and squirrels. With the mandate for steel shot, I got a 12 870Mag. A few years later, I went for the 1100 in 12 ga. I picked up a 20 ga, because it was a good deal and then added a 20 ga LWT.

The 1100 can and will do it all.

I have considered a Versa-Max, but I don't know why.

$1300+ for a Benelli? OK, if you have money to burn. All 4 of 1100s combined were less than a grand.
BTW, I have 5 870s, 12 MAG, 12 riot HD, 16, 20, .410.

Your probably more in tune with what the OP asked for as far as game. My 1100 has cycled thousands of rounds with very little maintenance other than massive amounts of lube for the same game you shoot.

The M2 lends itself to competition shooting, where in major matches there may be a hundred rounds of Buck, slug and birdshot within a couple of hours. They are also more easily highly modified for competition.

That being said, competition shooter require the ultimate in reliability. The M2 meets that requirement.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Was in a skeet and trap league, many a shoot lasted all day and my 1100 has never failed

My 870Mag failed once. Was duck hunting, had some dirty reloaded with Blue Dot. Powder jammed up spring in trigger.

Removed trigger assembly, rinced it in lake, reassembled and kept hunting.

The Benelli is a fine gun. So is Browning A5, Beretta, and all the other quality guns.

Bang for the buck, I like Remingtons.
S-i-L still shoots my 1950 model Mohawk 48, barrel recoil 12 ga. He loves it.

Pharr Shot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Stoeger M3000. It's one hell of a shotgun and you can't beat it for it only cost like $600 MSRP. I know of someone that has pretty much pushed it too it's limits and it still runs like a champ.

Sent from my 0PM92 using Tapatalk

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Following this thread because I have same questions as OP. Conversations I've had with hunters and retail gun dealers is to go with the Benelli or Beretta. The only knock on those has been cycling issues with light loads.

Latest posts

Top Bottom