What's a good revolver?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pharr Shot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What would be the best revolver for pretty much anything from carry to home defense to a fun gun?
I would like to get a Smith but since they've put the "Hilary hole" on the guns I've heard of them locking up when you shoot them.
I can't really shoot a J frame because my hands are to big and I have long fingers.
Something like a 686, 66, or 627 would be nice to have.
I have a Ruger Speed-Six but that there to me only has one purpose.....
So if anyone could give me some ideas on what are some good, reliable, and affordable revolvers are I'd appreciate it.

whiskeysnoot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A 4 inch 686 or 66 can fill the bill. A little tough for CCW but not out of the question. The 627 is an N frame gun so considerably larger than the 686 L frame. The Smith lock can easily be remedied with a plug.

GP100s have come a long ways in the last few years IMO. I have my eye on a 4 inch myself.

Don't overlook Taurus. Some cry heresy but I think they make a quality revolver for a little less cash.

Of course, you could just buy the Colt Python in the classifieds and have the best revolver ever. No sarcasm. Wish I had the scratch for it.

BMPregler

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A 4 inch 686 or 66 can fill the bill. A little tough for CCW but not out of the question. The 627 is an N frame gun so considerably larger than the 686 L frame. The Smith lock can easily be remedied with a plug.

GP100s have come a long ways in the last few years IMO. I have my eye on a 4 inch myself.

Don't overlook Taurus. Some cry heresy but I think they make a quality revolver for a little less cash.

Of course, you could just buy the Colt Python in the classifieds and have the best revolver ever. No sarcasm. Wish I had the scratch for it.

Whiskey covered it all. I will have a pre-lock 686 added to my collection soon and the Python is my grail revolver. Hopeful to add it in a year.

Boehlertaught

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree with what's been said but would add the Ruger GP101 to the list also. Great quality for a money. I am cautious of Taurus though; good price but I've fixed enough of them I know they can be an issue. With Smith, Ruger or Colt you can't go wrong. You'll find that the prices comprable for Taurus and Ruger and with Ruger's rugged dependability I would pass on the Taurus.

Pharr Shot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd love to get a Colt! xD But my dad does hand a GP100, I do like it but if I get one I need different grips, the grips make it feel like it's wide from front to rear. A SP101 is for sure not bad.
I do kinda like the Taurus 608. But I just don't like that lock cuz if I shoot it I don't want it to lock itself up, but I'll saw Taurus did better on the lock than Smith.
Plus I've heard Taurus is kinda "hit and miss".....
There ain't much out there unless you got the money. :'(

Pharr Shot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree with what's been said but would add the Ruger GP101 to the list also. Great quality for a money. I am cautious of Taurus though; good price but I've fixed enough of them I know they can be an issue. With Smith, Ruger or Colt you can't go wrong. You'll find that the prices comprable for Taurus and Ruger and with Ruger's rugged dependability I would pass on the Taurus.

I've heard though that with some of the new Smith revolvers it could possibly lock up on you.... I know you can remove it but then that messes up the warranty..... I love Ruger but their triggers though are pretty though.
I gotta' Speed-Six in .357 and it's FOR SURE been used, the trigger on it right now is as smooth as getting a brand new Smith..... -_-

aarondhgraham

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've heard though that with some of the new Smith revolvers it could possibly lock up on you

I've been reading that for years now,,,
I have never been able to find even one person who it's actually happened to.

It's always a friend of a cousin who heard it in a bar. :blush:

But if that's still a deal breaker then buy a used S&W pistol.

I picked up a used 6" Model 686 for $550.00 just last summer,,,
No Hillary Hole and it's well broken in.

Aarond

Latest posts

Top Bottom