What's a good revolver?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

becker_atc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
4" 10-5 pencil barrel in nickle is likely my favorite for bummin around the farm. Want a 6" or 4" model 19.

Also have 4" model 57 no dash for hunting use along with a contender.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I847 using Tapatalk 2

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you want to carry then the 3" GP100 is the best IMO. Your profile says you're sixteen so don't you have a couple years before that's a possibility?

You just can't go wrong with a Ruger, you just can't. The stuff about the lock equipped S&W's locking up is baloney, I've never heard a single case of it happening other than today someone saying they heard from someone from someone... blah blah blah. Here's the deal, S&W has decided to add locks to the guns, you can use it or not use it, your choice but it doesn't change the point of the gun.

I've got a S&W 629 V-Comp with the lock, which I don't use and never even notice, it's a non-issue except for all the butthurt out there. Do I think the lock is necessary? Nope, there are plenty of other options but it's there so get over it. Although, with all the butthhurt people saying they won't buy a S&W with a lock (which means no new S&W for them) it just means it's far easier for everyone else to find the gun they want. So, in that respect, maybe the lock was a good idea. I will say that shooting my 629 V-Comp is AWESOME and I would have been so mad at myself for denying myself that kind of awesomeness over something that has not a bit of effect on the gun, or the fun, unless you choose to it to.

I might just start complaining about the lock myself, really trash talking it, leaves more guns for me to choose from.

Anywho, Ruger or S&W are the two big dogs on the block and you can't go wrong with either. Avoid the "bargain" choices like the plague, you aren't saving anything in the long run. There are cheap brands that are decent guns but it's often a case of being a gun to gun crap shoot, as in one may be great and the next one a POS, case in point - Taurus. Capable of building an excellent gun but terrible at making excellent guns all in a row. Not to mention the resale value on a Taurus or a Charter Arms or .... is horrible.

Ruger's are tank tough and swiss watch reliable, S&W's are a little more refined and usually have a better trigger although Ruger is rapidly catching up. S&W has tons more options but they aren't that great at shooting heavy loads repeatedly while Ruger's laugh at +P+P+P+P+... The good news is between Ruger and S&W you have your choice of the greatest number of the best revolvers ever available at any other time in history. It's a virtual smörgåsbord of choices..bon appetit!

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I carry a Ruger SP101 everyday. Rock solid, 100% dependable.
I would love to have an L frame Smith, but would still probably end up carrying the Ruger.

streak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
about 40%of my carry time is spent with a 3" ruger gp100. Great gun, and if I ever have to beat someone to death with the empty revolver I know I brought the tool for the job as the GP100 will never know the difference.....tank is an accurate description

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What would be the best revolver for pretty much anything from carry to home defense to a fun gun?
I would like to get a Smith but since they've put the "Hilary hole" on the guns I've heard of them locking up when you shoot them.
I can't really shoot a J frame because my hands are to big and I have long fingers.
Something like a 686, 66, or 627 would be nice to have.
I have a Ruger Speed-Six but that there to me only has one purpose.....
So if anyone could give me some ideas on what are some good, reliable, and affordable revolvers are I'd appreciate it.

what you want is one of those retired police S&W .38 revolvers .. .357 versions are harder to come by. they used to sell for dirt cheap like about $350 with bobbed hammer. those were pre-lock models .. nothing wrong with S&W lock models, simply disable to gain back reliability.

Boehlertaught

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree with aarondhgraham that the Smith lockup issue may be a myth. Relying on any Smith 100% does not scare me at all. But if you like Smith and just can't bring yourself to trust the lock...there are lots of old no-lock Smith out there to buy. Many show up on the forum. I am also a big fan of Ruger. They are great pistols and when you consider what they cost it's a super great deal.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree with aarondhgraham that the Smith lockup issue may be a myth. Relying on any Smith 100% does not scare me at all. But if you like Smith and just can't bring yourself to trust the lock...there are lots of old no-lock Smith out there to buy. Many show up on the forum. I am also a big fan of Ruger. They are great pistols and when you consider what they cost it's a super great deal.

gotta disagree .. some S&W revolver safety locks were kept in place by 'tiny" springs. absolute junk!
fortunately those locks are easy to disable and make safe again ..

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
What would be the best revolver for pretty much anything from carry to home defense to a fun gun?
I would like to get a Smith but since they've put the "Hilary hole" on the guns I've heard of them locking up when you shoot them.
I can't really shoot a J frame because my hands are to big and I have long fingers.
Something like a 686, 66, or 627 would be nice to have.
I have a Ruger Speed-Six but that there to me only has one purpose.....
So if anyone could give me some ideas on what are some good, reliable, and affordable revolvers are I'd appreciate it.

Carry
For carry, unless you are talking heavy coat / jacket over it; anything larger than K-frames or *-Six series are going to be tough to conceal.
I can carry my 4" N-frame under a sport coat, but concealing under a t-shirt isn't going to happen. I *can* carry my Speed-Six or Service-Six IWB under a t-shirt if I want. For carry I would recommend no longer than a 4" barrel. I would also recommend a 4" barrel. The two *-Six series guns I have are 2-3/4" and 4" respectively. I have found the 4" barrel carries easier due to the shape of an IWB revolver holster. The 2-3/4" holster is shaped like a wedge, and always feels like my pants are trying to spit it out. Also, the weight of the grip above the belt is equal or greater than the weight of the barrel, and close in length, so the butt end levering out makes muzzle dig into my side. The 4" feels more stable (and doesn't have the feeling of trying to escape from my pants) IWB, and is more comfortable over a long day carrying. OWB, the first part is moot, but the levering is still a factor. The only time I would recommend a shorter barrel for regular carry would be trying to conceal OWB, as the longer barrel would be more likely to peek out from under a cover garment.

Home Defense
Something accurate and not too bulky. More rounds = better, but I'd rather have something with 6 and good speed loaders than an oddball cylinder that I have to single load after the first cylinder. Other than that, I wouldn't want a .22 (or any rimfire), and probably not a .44 Mag. Being inside and in the dark most likely, I'd avoid porting; and pay attention to the amount of muzzle flash. Hot .357 out of a 2" barrel gives a HUGE muzzle flash. You might as well have a single shot, because you ain't seein' nuthin after shooting that in the dark if your eyes are already adjusted.

Fun Gun
Not small or lightweight. Either .357 or .44 Mag, as you can shoot anything from light "mouse-fart" loads to full house wrist breakers.

I'd recommend the bigger brother to your Speed-Six, the Security-Six, since you're already familiar with that gun. They can be tuned pretty nicely (not like a smith, but good), and they are *RUGGED*. They are also lighter than the GP100, and use common K-frame holsters. The Security Six gets you adjustable sights, which is nice on the range.

However, my top recommendation would be a 4" GP100. The grip design makes range time a breeze. The factory rubber grip (or the Hogue) wraps all the way around the gun, so there is no metal to hand contact. I have had 2-GPs, and a 2-1/4" SP. Any could be used with hot .357s for as long as your wallet could handle it. The one on my short list is the new Match Champion GP that Ruger just released.

Latest posts

Top Bottom