What's a good revolver?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pharr Shot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
what you want is one of those retired police S&W .38 revolvers .. .357 versions are harder to come by. they used to sell for dirt cheap like about $350 with bobbed hammer. those were pre-lock models .. nothing wrong with S&W lock models, simply disable to gain back reliability.

How would I disable the lock on it? I know you can but just ain't sure how though. Can ya' do it yourself to send it off to someone?

Pharr Shot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
IMHO, I would go with a 357/38. Maybe a S&W model 28 Highway Patrolman. There is a nice 686 7 shot 2.5in barrel for sale in the classified's for the right money, but it does have the lock. If you are going to keep it and not sale it, you might check into a Taurus if you have a lower budget. They make a fine revolver, but harder then heck to resale and get your money.

I was thinking about the Taurus 608 with a 4 inch barrel. But I've heard they're a hit and miss and like ya' said, if I were to sell it I probably wouldn't get my moneys worth out of it.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
what you want is one of those retired police S&W .38 revolvers .. .357 versions are harder to come by. they used to sell for dirt cheap like about $350 with bobbed hammer. those were pre-lock models .. nothing wrong with S&W lock models, simply disable to gain back reliability.

Alexander, The one's CY was making reference to were the older ones that had no lock. These were model 10's and model 64's, first was blued, and latter was stainless steel, and both in .357. Model's 13, and 65's were in .357 on the K size frame. More meant for practice with .38's, and .357 for carry.

Pharr Shot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As far as guns go, he has a Speed-Six with 2-3/4"bbl, a Cold Gold cup national Match, Ruger MKII, Walther PPK/s .380, Beretta 92sf Centurion, CZ452 .22lr, CZ527 .223, Mossberg 590A1. So he's no dummy when it comes to firearms. Probably knows more about guns than most 16yr old kids. He's already competed in steel challenge, IDPA, and IPSC style matches, and is friends with Mas Ayoob, plus other top shooters.

You mean Remington 452?

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I did have a nice Model 10 but I was dumb with it and thought I REALLLLLY liked this girl so I sold it and bought a +$200 necklace with that money and yet got nothing in return.

What you'll find over time is some S&W's are even better than others. I've also screwed up and sold or traded some I wished I'd kept. But that's just part of the hobby/fun.
Another thing is like anything else some are more valuable than others and time & experience will teach you these.

I really don't think you can go wrong much with a smith other than maybe paying way too much. My first was a model 19 357 mag. I sold it to one of my younger brothers and hated that it was gone. Also he never got around to paying me for it either, but that's what brothers are for sometimes.

Back when I shot competitively I used my model 28, I loved it then and still do. I has the best trigger of any sweet triggered smith I ever had. To top it off I could actually hit the target with almost constant dependability. :D

Somewhere along the way you'll get a smith 22lr and almost all of those are keepers. Welcome to the madness. :screwy:

caojyn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I'll put my vote in for ruger. I carry the sp101 everyday, absolutely love it. It's both my trail gun and my ccw. It's got probably 1000 trail miles on it and still looks and functions like new. Someday, if I'm a good boy, santa will bring me the 454 redhawk. Someday.....

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Personally I agree with some of what Brandi posted. The Ruger GP100 is a fantastic gun to work with. Get yourself a $20 Wilson spring kit, some polish and with a little time and basic hand tools you can have a really nice DA trigger pull. They are Abrahms tank tough, and you won't find a better all purpose caliber than .357 Magnum. Smiths are great but the new ones are really pricey and from what I've seen the Rugers are generally a bit better accuracy wise with plated, coated lead or plain lead bullets.

And the lock isn't an old wives tale though I think it's pretty rare. That said I've had TWO different 625JMs and both of them looked like they were about to puke the lock guts after about 4 cylinder fulls of shooting with 230 grain bullets. Neither ever did, but the tiny spring that holds it all together was working it's way out of it's slot on one end. So I yanked them out before they did. Naturally I noticed it on the first one at a match and kept pushing it back in with a pick between stages. I was watching for it with my 2nd one and sure enough, same damn thing. The lock is still in my 442, but it's been neutered...

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've already found a nice Taurus that's stainless steel in .357 that's a 4 inch.
Hopefully that'll do good for me. :\

I forgot to add.... That I wouldn't do a Taurus. The only thing wrong with Taurus is the steels they use. They cheap out there and they just don't have the metallurgy that they need. If they did, they'd be every bit as good as a S&W or Ruger.

Latest posts

Top Bottom