What's a good revolver?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Since your dad is a gun guy talk him into getting TWO! I gotta say that pic of you with Mas makes me jealous, I'm a huge fan of him!

I said it before and I'll repeat it again, the S&W locks aren't an issue, anyone who passes on a great gun because it has a lock is kicking themselves in the head. They may have had issues early on but I've yet to see anyone I know have a problem and that issue is a non-issue these days. I can't count how many shots have gone through my S&W 629 V-Comp .44 magnum and not a single issue, that's all full power .44 magnum ammo. If that lock was a problem it would have already gone and the only time I even remember it has a tiny lock hole in it is when someone says "I'd love to have one of those but I won't buy a gun with a lock". Wow, way the screw yourself. Why would someone deny themselves something they really want because of something that is cosmetic and so small you will forget it's there unless you obsess over it.

That said...I still recommend the GP100 (the Wiley Clapp is a super sweet 3" special edition-only 2000 being made so not a lot of time to get one left) or a S&W. S&W has a fantastic number of models to choose from and if you can swing a Performance Center model you will LOVE them. You just can't go wrong with either. I still don't recommend Taurus because they are inconsistent quality and getting a good one is a crapshoot. The Taurus Judge is one of the worst guns made and should probably come with a return label in the box.

Here's my S&W 629 V-Comp Performance Center .44 magnum... the little lock hole isn't an issue, plus you can have them plugged.

Here's my Ruger GP100 Wiley Clapp Edition .357 magnum and just a sweet gun to shoot.

Whatever you get post a pic! Good luck with your search!

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Since your dad is a gun guy talk him into getting TWO! I gotta say that pic of you with Mas makes me jealous, I'm a huge fan of him!

I said it before and I'll repeat it again, the S&W locks aren't an issue, anyone who passes on a great gun because it has a lock is kicking themselves in the head. They may have had issues early on but I've yet to see anyone I know have a problem and that issue is a non-issue these days. I can't count how many shots have gone through my S&W 629 V-Comp .44 magnum and not a single issue, that's all full power .44 magnum ammo. If that lock was a problem it would have already gone and the only time I even remember it has a tiny lock hole in it is when someone says "I'd love to have one of those but I won't buy a gun with a lock". Wow, way the screw yourself. Why would someone deny themselves something they really want because of something that is cosmetic and so small you will forget it's there unless you obsess over it.

That said...I still recommend the GP100 (the Wiley Clapp is a super sweet 3" special edition-only 2000 being made so not a lot of time to get one left) or a S&W. S&W has a fantastic number of models to choose from and if you can swing a Performance Center model you will LOVE them. You just can't go wrong with either. I still don't recommend Taurus because they are inconsistent quality and getting a good one is a crapshoot. The Taurus Judge is one of the worst guns made and should probably come with a return label in the box.

Here's my S&W 629 V-Comp Performance Center .44 magnum... the little lock hole isn't an issue, plus you can have them plugged.

Here's my Ruger GP100 Wiley Clapp Edition .357 magnum and just a sweet gun to shoot.

Whatever you get post a pic! Good luck with your search!

I wouldn't pass on a S&W with the lock if the price was right, but I would neuter it. It's easy enough to pull the lock parts, and you can buy the little plugs to stick in it's place.

SgtMojo67

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a Taurus 608 and it was a great shooter! Maybe I had a good one. I didn't have any issues with it. I regretted selling it. I know you don't like J frames but I have a S&W 640 and the grip is longer than let's say a model 642......and with it being all steel, it didn't have much recoil.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I had a Taurus 608 and it was a great shooter! Maybe I had a good one. I didn't have any issues with it. I regretted selling it. I know you don't like J frames but I have a S&W 640 and the grip is longer than let's say a model 642......and with it being all steel, it didn't have much recoil.

Alexander has shot my 640 alot, but just can't get used to it due to his very long fingers. For him to have a snubby it'll probably have to be a K-frame size gun.

Pharr Shot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like the Ruger LCR, if I get that then that would be a shoulder rig. But the cylinder release don't feel right to me, I cant seem to get it open, and when I do and for when I go to close the cylinder, it doesn't always close all the way.
This is difficult cuz I want a small revolver in 357 that fits like a glove, all steel, durable and not to heavy.
Like my Ruger Speed-Six isn't bad but it's just a bit to heavy and the SP101 even with the 2.25 inch barrel would be the same.
I don't really care for the small Taurus revolvers either.

Latest posts

Top Bottom