What's a good revolver?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
With a revolver you can get more power than you can in a semi auto. As the previous post pointed out. You are trying to get one gun that will work for three different uses. Carry, home defense, and fun. It might be better if you picked one that was better for one purpose and compromise on the other two. You can use a .44 magnum for fun and home defense. I have one that is decent for carry too. SW 329PD. it isn't as fun as the other .44 magnums I have owned because it is too light.

I made a compromise. You may want to also. If you want a carry gun mainly, one with a lighter weight and fixed sights would be best. There are a lot of choices.
One thing neat about revolvers is that the same action can be used for different purposes just by getting a different barrel length and different sights. Grip sizes and shapes also make a difference when you are determining what use the revolver will have for you. You could even get two of the same ones with different barrel length and sights. The ammo could be the same and the grips could be the same and the trigger and action could be the same too. Yet you could have two separate uses for the two guns.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like all the S&W's. Can't help myself. Then the Rugers. There's other too. Mostly they need to go bang every time the hammer drop on a live round.

surjimmy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
IMHO, I would go with a 357/38. Maybe a S&W model 28 Highway Patrolman. There is a nice 686 7 shot 2.5in barrel for sale in the classified's for the right money, but it does have the lock. If you are going to keep it and not sale it, you might check into a Taurus if you have a lower budget. They make a fine revolver, but harder then heck to resale and get your money.

Norman681

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I think you need more than one. Since you can't carry now anyway buy a nice used older S&W. Like others have said the 686 and 66 are great guns for shooting maybe not so much for carry. I have a M681 which is like a 686 but with combat sights. I love it. It is my favorite gun to shoot and very accurate. I bought a little Ruger LCR-X to carry when I don't have much clothes on. I also have a M&P shield that I like a whole bunch. So start with a four inch Smith preferably in .357 cause you can shoot .38's and .357.(I like Lframes best).

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I think you need more than one. Since you can't carry now anyway buy a nice used older S&W. Like others have said the 686 and 66 are great guns for shooting maybe not so much for carry. I have a M681 which is like a 686 but with combat sights. I love it. It is my favorite gun to shoot and very accurate. I bought a little Ruger LCR-X to carry when I don't have much clothes on. I also have a M&P shield that I like a whole bunch. So start with a four inch Smith preferably in .357 cause you can shoot .38's and .357.(I like Lframes best).

As far as guns go, he has a Speed-Six with 2-3/4"bbl, a Cold Gold cup national Match, Ruger MKII, Walther PPK/s .380, Beretta 92sf Centurion, CZ452 .22lr, CZ527 .223, Mossberg 590A1. So he's no dummy when it comes to firearms. Probably knows more about guns than most 16yr old kids. He's already competed in steel challenge, IDPA, and IPSC style matches, and is friends with Mas Ayoob, plus other top shooters.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
As far as guns go, he has a Speed-Six with 2-3/4"bbl, a Cold Gold cup national Match, Ruger MKII, Walther PPK/s .380, Beretta 92sf Centurion, CZ452 .22lr, CZ527 .223, Mossberg 590A1. So he's no dummy when it comes to firearms. Probably knows more about guns than most 16yr old kids. He's already competed in steel challenge, IDPA, and IPSC style matches, and is friends with Mas Ayoob, plus other top shooters.

He probably knows more than most of us here.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
He probably knows more than most of us here.

Some times I wonder. He reads anything he can get on firearms. If you look at his Avatar its him Mas, Mas's girl friend Gail, and myself at the IDPA Nationals in Tulsa last year.

i151.photobucket.com_albums_s127_ldp4570_GUNS_203_DSCN5401_zps5cb05956.jpg

Mas and I are on a private forum, and all who cuss him, don't know squat. He's forgotten more about guns than most of us will ever know.

Latest posts

Top Bottom