What's a good revolver?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shotty

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What's the one purpose of your speed six according to you? A speed six is a very good revolver. For carry, maybe a little big, but can be done. sp 101 snubs are nice, compact, but at 25 oz, not exactly a pocket gun and 357 out of it, well recoil is stout to say the least. Wanting to start a collection? Nothing wrong with that, heck this is the way most of us started. In my mind Ruger or S&W rule in the revolver world if you plan on keeping and shooting them. Most can be pressed into different roles if needed, so there really is no correct answer. How the gun feels in your hand is most important.

Pharr Shot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What's the one purpose of your speed six according to you? A speed six is a very good revolver. For carry, maybe a little big, but can be done. sp 101 snubs are nice, compact, but at 25 oz, not exactly a pocket gun and 357 out of it, well recoil is stout to say the least. Wanting to start a collection? Nothing wrong with that, heck this is the way most of us started. In my mind Ruger or S&W rule in the revolver world if you plan on keeping and shooting them. Most can be pressed into different roles if needed, so there really is no correct answer. How the gun feels in your hand is most important.

True that, the Speed-Six would be more for like say shoulder rig during like winter or so. If I were to get a SP101 it would also be shoulder rig, or my main carry piece.

caojyn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
FWIW, i carry my sp101 OWB at about 4-5o'clock. Untucked over shirt or jacket makes it disappear. But the same can be said of my cz75 compact.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
smith model 65 can be found in the money if you are patient. Defiantely a .357, nice to be able to go down to .38 or up to a full house magnum.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
If ya can find a Dan Wesson 5". I started off with one, stainless w/hogue grips. Well balanced and accurate with a good trigger....just never could get used to the cylinder latch.

Another older revo is a Charter Arms .44spl. Was "ok" and a fun phase. Id love to have a S&W .44spl again....sadly I didnt appriciate what I had.

Id chime in my love for my 640, I love love love mine....too bad it doesnt fit ya. Did I say I love mine?

Pharr Shot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If ya can find a Dan Wesson 5". I started off with one, stainless w/hogue grips. Well balanced and accurate with a good trigger....just never could get used to the cylinder latch.

Another older revo is a Charter Arms .44spl. Was "ok" and a fun phase. Id love to have a S&W .44spl again....sadly I didnt appriciate what I had.

Id chime in my love for my 640, I love love love mine....too bad it doesnt fit ya. Did I say I love mine?

I wish I had the money for a Dan Wesson! But that's like both arms and both legs for one!
I somewhat can shoot the 640, I went to the range today and practiced with it, for some reason it seems to shoot high for me even just at like 7 to 10 yards away!
If I where to get that, that only has one purpose and that's VERY up close and personal. It's still a nice revolver though.

Johnny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Everyone has covered them all. The 4" 686 or the 4" GP-100.

For everything besides target shooting I would have 681 or the fixed sight 4" GP100 with the compact grip. You cut your elbow one two many times on the adjustable rear sight hiking thru the woods you will be ready to take a screwdriver to it right then and there.

A 3" in an SP101 also or a smith K frame would make a good all around gun. I would cut off an appendage to have some of your dads revolvers.

Pharr Shot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Everyone has covered them all. The 4" 686 or the 4" GP-100.

For everything besides target shooting I would have 681 or the fixed sight 4" GP100 with the compact grip. You cut your elbow one two many times on the adjustable rear sight hiking thru the woods you will be ready to take a screwdriver to it right then and there.

A 3" in an SP101 also or a smith K frame would make a good all around gun. I would cut off an appendage to have some of your dads revolvers.

I'm kinda thinking on saving my money for when I get a next revolver it may be either a 66-2 or a 640.
My dad's 640 for some super odd reason shoots high for me, even at like 7 to 10 yards!!!!
But when he had his 66-2, that was a beauty and he regrets getting rid of it.
I'm about to get a Taurus either 66 or 65, which ever model is stainless steel, 4 inch barrel, in .357, 6 shot, fixed sights. Hopefully it'll be an excellent gun because we got in on gunbroker for only like $230. If it ain't all that great, I'll just get rid of it.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've got a S&W 629 V-Comp with the lock, which I don't use and never even notice, it's a non-issue except for all the butthurt out there. Do I think the lock is necessary? Nope, there are plenty of other options but it's there so get over it. Although, with all the butthhurt people saying they won't buy a S&W with a lock (which means no new S&W for them) it just means it's far easier for everyone else to find the gun they want. So, in that respect, maybe the lock was a good idea. I will say that shooting my 629 V-Comp is AWESOME and I would have been so mad at myself for denying myself that kind of awesomeness over something that has not a bit of effect on the gun, or the fun, unless you choose to it to.

I might just start complaining about the lock myself, really trash talking it, leaves more guns for me to choose from.

Happened just this weekend in the Old Fort USPSA match to a guy shooting a 327 with USPSA minor PF loads. It's a very real problem and not only in the hard kicking magnums.

Latest posts

Top Bottom