What's the best compact .380

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have the Kahr CW .380 and it's small,lite, and accurate. I have a Sphinx AT-M .380, which I think is the best .380 ever. The wife has the Sig 230 .380. They all are accurate and dependable. The Sig and Sphinx are a little large for pocket carry. I carry the Kahr the most.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
To change the question a bit, what compact (ish) .380 is the easiest to shoot? My grandfather had a Kel-Tec PF-9, which he can no longer shoot: between the trigger pull and recoil, it's just too much.

I have no experience with .380s, other than a Bersa that I shot 10 years ago. I like the idea of the Beretta 84/85 / Browning BDA, but I think they're just a little too big. But if they're easy to shoot, then it might be worth it.

Also, he's living with my aunt and uncle, and they have and reload for .380s and .40s, no 9mm, which is why I'm not considering 9mm at this time.

POKE1911

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
To change the question a bit, what compact (ish) .380 is the easiest to shoot? My grandfather had a Kel-Tec PF-9, which he can no longer shoot: between the trigger pull and recoil, it's just too much.

I have no experience with .380s, other than a Bersa that I shot 10 years ago. I like the idea of the Beretta 84/85 / Browning BDA, but I think they're just a little too big. But if they're easy to shoot, then it might be worth it.

Also, he's living with my aunt and uncle, and they have and reload for .380s and .40s, no 9mm, which is why I'm not considering 9mm at this time.

One of the best guns that I have had experience with for the elderly is the walther PK380. It is a bit larger and by no means a pocket gun. That being said it is large enough to fit well in the hand. The felt recoil is very low, the trigger is pretty nice, and the slide racks with incredible ease. In fact it was so easy to rack I was concerned it would not be strong enough to chamber the rounds consistently, but I was wrong. Great gun. The Ruger LC380 should be close to the size of the PF9 and I have heard good things about them as well, just no hands on experience.

POKE1911

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I carry the LCP Custom. The new trigger makes it a lot better than the old one. I was going to buy the pico as it is the thinnest on the market but the trigger on the one I handled was garbage. I used to own a P380 that I loved but traded it because I wanted something else at the time plus $500 was a lot in a pocket gun in which a $300 gun would do just as well for my purposes. Here are the true pocket 380s that I have owned in order of my favorite. They all have their +/- I have ended up with the LCP Custom because it has the reliability, tons of holster and accessory options, great price point, they added real rights (nice for when it is used at range), and the new trigger makes it much closer to the kahr than before so that is why I have it... for today anyways.. :)
1a. Kahr P380
1b. Ruger LCP Custom
2. Sig P238
3. Kahr CW380
4. Ruger LCP (original)

jbrentd

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We bought an M&P bodyguard (with laser) for my wife and we like it a lot more after installing the galloway precision trigger that shortens the pull quite a bit. Bought the one without the laser for myself as a car gun and will be looking to install the trigger kit in it as well.

TSQUARE

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I jumped back into the micro pocket pistol ring today. I saw an LCP Custom and felt the trigger and saw the sights and bought it. They really stepped it up with this one. Can't wait to get some range time with it.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Somebody needs to start a sub compact pocket pistol match that will give owners an opportunity to shoot their guns under stress against a timer. Shot a couple of them a few years ago at an indoor range. The ranges to the targets were typical urban ranges of 3-7 yds, just like what is required during the CC classes.

Its an eye opener to say the least. I doubt most have seen anything like this at low light, etc.

Latest posts

Top Bottom