What's the best compact .380

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AirMech74

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In the summer months, and shorts weather in general, I always carried an LCP, but I just recently picked up a Sig P238, and so far really like it.....very easy to carry in the front pocket or in an OWB holster.

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you haven't tried the Kahr P380, you haven't done your homework. And, the Kahr CW380 is a lower-budget version which is reputed to be very good, also.

Duck L'Orange

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How compact are we talking? Like, mouse gun compact? I think if you like DAO, lcp is a really nice, low cost choice. If you're a 1911 fan, I've heard 238s have some of the best trigger of almost any firearm in SA, of which I am not a fan personally for concealed carry.

For my purposes, my absolute favorite style of handgun is the typical straight blowback, fixed barrel .380s. Hugely reliable, idiot-proof takedown/cleaning, DA/SA (favorite configure for CC), the 3.5-4in barrels make the .380 a real contender, super accurate due to fixed barrel and actual site picture compared to smaller offerings in .380.

Plus, they're just sexy as hell.

Here are my favorites, in order from most to least
Beretta 84fs/browning bda
Cz 83 (I owned an 82 in 9x18 and loved it)
Sig p230/232
Walther PPK

I would love to get my hands on a beretta 84fs. 13 round capacity is hard to beat in a ccw, and I dare any .380 naysayer to find a similarly sized 9mm with all of the perks I mentioned. Most people are comfortable with a subcompact 9mm, or the aforementioned "micro" .380s, but again, I think the old school blowback to fill an under appreciated niche. Plus, it has a chromed barrel standard, which is probably a bit overkill for a pistol, but ensures it'll handle all sorts of abuse while still outlasting you, and probably your grandchildren.

Duck L'Orange

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Also, if anyone happens to know where I could find a good deal on any of the aforementioned pistols, let me know! All of the above seem harder to come by, both online and in shops, in the past few years.

For example, they stopped making the cz83 in 2012, and pretty certain the same for the p232 even earlier

andrsnsm

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I saw a beretta at H&H last week but I didn't look at the price. They are having a red tag sale through the end of the month but I don't recall if it was tagged. If I get by there I will check it out.

Duck L'Orange

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you remember to, let me know. All of the outlets I see online are either the older f/bb models, or are outrageously priced at like $700+. I would probably just get a full sized Sig or something for that price haha.

andrsnsm

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I finally got by H&H and the Beretta 85 was priced down to $585, pretty darn good!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440138322.390188.jpg

wolfkpr

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think you have to figure whether you want a pocket gun size, or a bersa/ppk size... I think if i can get away with a ppk size I will use a 9mm, not .380. I dont think .380 is enough for general service, but when I need a 9 oz pocket gun and cant get away with carrying a real gun, then .380 beats the heck out of .22/.25/.32, or any of those you can fit in a tiny pocket gun... that said I have the LCP, and it has been good.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Bersa Thunder for a 380. Wifes gun, but have carried it when I needed to. Shoots great and feels great. Regardless of what people say about it, the 380 is not that bad a round. Wife likes it because she feels better with a hammer fire.

Latest posts

Top Bottom