What's up with the .40's?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Man I don't know what everybodies deal is. If it has a bullet in the front and a primer in the back I like it. Also I would most likely pick it up over a rock to defend myself.

jrusling

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got a passel of 9mm and 3 40's.

What I don't have is a .45.

I'm not sure which, but I think I'll remedy that in the not too distant future.

Anyone wanna recommend a 1911 for a guy that is small of stature with hands smaller than a tea saucer??

My wife, who is 5' and 100 lbs, loves to shoot her Wilson Combat Professional. She originally bought the pistol for me on my birthday, but when we went and shot it the next day, she claimed it as hers. A few months later, she got to feeling guilty and told me I could call Wilson and order what ever I wanted. I was on the phone in less than 10 minutes. :)

rjstone208

New to the site!
Reaction score
Retired LE and over the years have carried a .38 revolver, .45, 9 mil and .40. I carry a Glock 22 and love it. People shot with a .45 don't always fall down immediately. Only time I had to shoot in line of duty (excluding Vietnam) was with a 9mm. Shot bad guy in shoulder (not where I was aiming either). He sorta sat down and I guess since more white hats were coming, shot himself and ended the problem. I felt that I would've had to fire several more rounds from the 9 if he'd decided to fight back. Wife carries G19 cause she can't handle the snap on the G22 (which can be a problem for some folks). We also have a G26 for quick runs to store or where ever or in sweats or casual where can't wear full rig. As you can tell we sorta like Glocks.

tinfinger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The 40 was designed with a very specific mission in life, which it does well. It takes a 9mm grip frame, and puts a heavier, larger diameter bullet in it.

If you like the 9, life is fine. If you want something "more" but don't want a 45ACP for any reason (grip frame too big, low single stack capacity, etc.), the 40 is your huckleberry. If you rock the Grand Old 45ACP, more power to you. It's all good.

So naturally, the 40 isn't like the nine and it isn't quite a 45...by its design, it is a compromise.

The 45GAP also had a mission...to put a 45 slug in a 9mm grip frame, which it does. However, it is treated as a red-headed stepchild. In truth, it winds up being more "compromised" than other compromises because it essentially offers no capacity beyond what a 45ACP, but there you are. Geometry is unyielding.

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
During the whole Sandy Hook mess, 9mm and .45ACP was no where to be found (even the cheap stuff) but I could always find .40 if I looked hard enough. I knew people who were willing to pay almost anything for 9mm and .45acp locally and it was also hard to find online. I didn't seem to have the same problem with .40. That alone will probably keep me with the .40 as long as this remains true for me.

Yep this is true. I didnt have much of an issue finding .40 during the panic, but 9mm or .45 forget about it.

And several east coast and southern PD's and HP agencies use .45 GAP. I used to have one.

Latest posts

Top Bottom