What's up with this winter?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beast1989

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Last year I was forced to drive my sports car to work, got stuck in the snow and my coworkers pushed me out. They left as soon as I decided to drive about 10ft and got stuck again I was SOL.... not fun at all.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As a weather nerd, this winter has been painstakingly boring. I get way too much joy looking at model runs and the like, and we ain't had nothing exciting so far and the weeks keep passing by with no sign of anyting exciting on the horizon. I was the proverbial kid on Christmas eve a year ago today.

Regardless of personal entertainment, I just hope we can start on the path to recovering from the drought. We need a rainy spring and summer...and fall. I'm ready for the terms "drought" and "heatwave" to be nothing more than a distant memory. It's still kind of amazing to me that so many Oklahomans can tell you all about how bad the February 2011 Blizzard was, but don't seem to comprehend how devastating this drought is.

Life on the plains goes on I suppose.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Has this happened before? Does this happen routinely?

More or less. Records have only been kept for a little more than 100 years, and we've definitely seen some wild stuff happen in that time period. January 2006 was the warmest January on Record for Tulsa. 2012 is on the list, but several are ahead of it dating back to the early 1900's.

Mean winter temps for Oklaoma since 1895:
[Broken External Image]

January alone:

[Broken External Image]

Knock yourself out at this site

When you get into stuff like precip data to see how bad the drought is, it can be helpful as well as misleading, depending on what regions and time periods you select.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom