What's your favorite cleaning method/solvents/lubes etc??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheLastDaze

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thought it would be interesting to see what everyone uses to clean and lube their firearms... Personally I've been using Rubbing Alcohol to clean, and Mobil 1 V-Twin Synthetic to lube, been doing this for about 6yrs now..

The other week I bought an old rifle that wouldn't cycle and was just a mess of gunk after tearing it down, since I don't have good old Hoppes solvent I found that WD40 was my friend and cleaned everything up surprisingly well..

Rubbing alcohol does a decent job on well maintained guns but after buying this old neglected rifle I got to thinking I could use a real gun cleaner and wanted the consensus here to help me along...

what's your method of madness?

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hoppes for really dirty barrels. Ballistol for the rest. Has served me well for over 40 years. No complaints.

And just recently started using the snake pull through cleaning ropes. I am very impressed with them.

Last edited:

Wolf44

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wipe Out

Boretech Eliminator

Butches Bore Shine

Oils - Weaponshield, Fireclean, ANS Precision Synthetic, Slip2000,

Greases - Weaponshield, Slide Glide, ANS Precision Moly high content, Mobil1Synthec XHP 222 Special (with Moly)

Last edited:

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Lubrication - motor oil
Outside the barrel - Remoil
Inside the barrel - Wipe-out < Montana Extreme < KG12 depending on copper build up

recently used some of the gunslick foaming cleaner. i was amazed at how much copper came out! are the montana extreme and kg12 any better? i ask only because i want to get the most effective cleaning in the shortest amount of time(my lack of good cleaning has lead to a sizable task!)

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Gunslick foam is very close to wipeout - wipeout is a bit more aggressive, but if you leave it over-night I don't think it matters. No burshing is needed at all - spray, wait, push out - DONE! I use this on all my milsurp rifles and 308s - cleans fairly well, but doesn't affect the "seasoning".

Montana extreme is a lot more aggressive cleaner. I don't use it very often any more (since I got the KG12).

KG12 is wicked! It is specifically designed for copper - other steps are necessary for complete cleaning, but as far as getting copper out of fast/overbore barrels - it is a winner by a very long shot!
http://www.laniganperformance.com/kg12testresults.html

TheLastDaze

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
KG12 link seems like the winner for copper for sure, is this liquid or patches?

I'm interested to use this after I clean my guns to see how much copper I'm not getting with alcohol.. which probably doesn't clean much more then dry cloths but in my mind it seems to, and it dries super quick....

Latest posts

Top Bottom