What's your favorite cleaning method/solvents/lubes etc??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I dropped my 870 in a mudhole while out goose hunting. Came home and disassembled it. Put all the metal parts in the wife's dishwasher.
I was home alone when doing this. Didn't get it out before M-I-L went to empty dishwasher. Wish I had a video camera set up.

On other cleaning jobs, Hoppe's #9, Mobil 1, #2 pencil on any small rust spots, rubbing alcohol to wipe outside to remove fingerprints.

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Butch's bore shine for cleaning a bore. For lube I use Mobil 1 or Royal Purple which ever I have handy. For semi auto handguns or my Garand I mix some of the aforementioned oil with some gold gun grease. If I plan on not shooting the gun for a while I'll swab the bore out with some CLP and wipe down the exterior with same.

elcaBob

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Hoppe's #9 and...... I've always been a just, plain remoil kind of guy. I had never, ever bought in to any of the new, supercool this and that formulas from alien technology. Until..... FROG LUBE. I got a sample for three bucks at Wannamacher's last year. This stuff is slicker'n Bill Clinton at a gynecologist's convention. And it lasts!

UnSafe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Metal and some plastics cleaner- Non chlorinated aerosol brake cleaner.
Oil- Leftover dribbles of Mobil1 20W50 and 10W40 from motorcycle oil changes, drained into a jar then transferred into old CLP bottles..
Grease- Generic wheel bearing grease.
Bore Copper removal- Sweet's 7.62
Leaded barrels. Old bore brush wrapped with a piece of Chore Boy Copper scrub pad, on a short alloy or coated rod with handle. Spray with brake cleaner and scrub like hell. Works 100% of the time.
Shaving brush to to oil guns before storage.

that_guy

New to the site!
Reaction score
I'm one of those weird people who uses WD40. Some people say it attracts moisture, but all I know is that it gets everything nice and clean. It also cleans wooden grips/stocks nicely and doesn't seem to harm the finish either.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For cleaning: Learned to use Hoppes #9 back in my "Old Corps" days; figured... why change what works? For lube: Usually just some kinda oil...

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Question for boresnake lovers. Do you wash your boresnakes? Seems like if you drop it on the floor it would pick up grit and work just like sandpaper when you pull it back and forth down the barrel.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Slip 2000. I used Hoppes since I was a kid, but two years ago I switched to Slip 2000 in my shop when I got a bunch of samples from the dealer, and I haven't looked back. This stuff is phenomenal. They do everything from heavy carbon buildup (after soaking all you have to do is wipe it off) to lubrication, and its the oil we ran on all our full autos. I see a lot of motor oils and WD-40's on here, which is weird to me because we were taught to never touch that stuff in gunsmithing school, yet since graduating I've met more people than I can count who have been using the stuff for decades. I say if it works, go for it. Damn the wet rags back at school who scorned us for bringing it up.
Which school?

Latest posts

Top Bottom