What's Your Opinion On A Thumb Safety For CCW?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cowboydoc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Personally, I will not carry a pistol with a manual safety. I learned to shoot a pistol with a revolver, so no manual safety was what I learned. The semi-autos I have and have had over the years have all been no safety / decocker only. Last year I was considering getting a 1911 and rented one. The range did not allow drawing from a holster, but I tried quickly picking it up from the bench, disengaging the safety and double tapping. 4/10 times I did not get the safety off, either because I fumbled it or just completely forgot (and this was at a range, THINKING about disengaging the safety). I realized that my muscle memory is for a non-safety pistol and without some serious re-training I would never feel comfortable carrying a 1911.

I currently carry a S&W 642 and/or a Beretta 92G. On the Beretta G models, the decocker lever (that is also a safety on the F models) has a spring that returns it to the fire position. I have seen someone accidentally engage the safety on a 92FS when racking the slide during a reload. If/when I get another carry pistol, it will not have a thumb safety.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't own a 1911 (yet), but is thumb safety even necessary on that platform? They already have a grip safety.

the grip safety hopefully keeps the gun from going off when dropped. its only real function.
any time you have your hand on the grip its disengaged.
you would never want to try to holster a cocked 1911 with the thumb safety off. thats an accident waiting to happen.

MadDogs

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Lot of great guns out there. As previously stated, it is all in what you practice with and are comfortable with. I like the SA guns with thumb safeties but the problem I have with mine is replacement value. My Series 70 Colt Combat Commander and (all Belgium) Browning Hi Power (both tuned by the late master Austin Behlert) look like they are new out of the box handguns. Not something I want to carry every day. Over the last few years, I had been carrying a (German) SIG P220 but have recently gone to a Glock (Gen 4) 19.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
the grip safety hopefully keeps the gun from going off when dropped. its only real function.
any time you have your hand on the grip its disengaged.
you would never want to try to holster a cocked 1911 with the thumb safety off. thats an accident waiting to happen.

No different that holstering an XD, or any number of safetyless pistols.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No different that holstering an XD, or any number of safetyless pistols.

have you ever owned a 1911 pistol? putting one in a holster cocked with the safety off will get you shot as it will only take the slightest bump to go off as you are holstering/unholstering it.
Xds, glocks etc are not fireable until you pull the trigger.
glocks are striker fired(no hammer)
a world of difference.

Latest posts

Top Bottom