What's Your Opinion On A Thumb Safety For CCW?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LBnM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I carried a 1911 for 20+ years with Uncle. It's my range gun as I enjoy shooting one but for CCW the only primary auto I will carry is a SIG DAK. I do carry a Kahr striker fired as secondary occasionally. If you must have a decocker go with the SIG DA/SA but there is a reason many government agencies and police forces have gone to the DAK trigger (and, after you get accustomed to it, it is very smooth and accurate.)

MaddSkillz

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The reason I lean towards the decocker is that I'm not a huge fan of DA all the time. I like a nice single-action trigger (1911's did that to me). Maybe I just haven't found the right one yet. I'm gonna go fondle a M&P later for giggles.

The CZ 75 is nice but it's farkin heavy and huge!!! I love the P01 though.

Sam Shoun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have come to prefer the XD/Glock/M&P setup, but if you opt for a decocker / no safety (which I also like), I bet you will like the SA trigger on the Sigs.

In fact if any good pistol maker offered a DA/SA w/ decocker & no safety with a nice low bore axis, I would own it.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have come to prefer the XD/Glock/M&P setup, but if you opt for a decocker / no safety (which I also like), I bet you will like the SA trigger on the Sigs.

In fact if any good pistol maker offered a DA/SA w/ decocker & no safety with a nice low bore axis, I would own it.

Have you looked at the HK P7's? They don't fit all the criteria you mentioned, but I bet you would really like one, with the low bore axis, short easy trigger pull and the squeeze grip safety.

Sam Shoun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Have you looked at the HK P7's? They don't fit all the criteria you mentioned, but I bet you would really like one, with the low bore axis, short easy trigger pull and the squeeze grip safety.

A friend at work was talking about these too... I mean to check them out. I like HK. Thanks for the tip.

rmwolf

Marksman
Reaction score
IMHO... Fit of the gun aside, control of the primary safety, the trigger finger, is the most important safety. In a modern handgun, I like the "slick sides" (user friendly and quick), but it definitely requires trigger finger discipline. Practice, practice, practice...

Jefpainthorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Depends.... If I have a choice in what I carry...I will train with it until it becomes second nature to operate safely.

Back in the dark ages, we had some issued SW 39-2's. I carried mine "off safe" and mechanically there is no difference from a revolver. Of course... if you carry that same pistol "on safe" and that gun is taken... maybe that little lever buys you enough time to get away or get to a bug.

1911's... the slide safety was added as a requirement of the US Army (driven by the Cav... who felt is was needed for the safety of mounted users). Browning felt the grip safety was enough.

Between the wars... rumor has it that lot's of Texas Rangers and other pistoleros would bind the grip safety with rawhide or pin it and rely on the slide safety only.

Forward to 2011... lot's of choices. Get what you like, learn it and live with it.

BulkAmmo

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
If the same model offers both a safety or decocker I would pick the decocker model. In fact I did when I got my CZ75BD. It's not a huge deal though either way.

If you not confident that you will get the safety off in a fluid motion while drawing your firearm. Then you need to practice more or maybe move to a different pistol. I've carried both. Like some others have said I flip my thumb over the no existent safety more than once when training on my XDs.

I do carry thumb safety CZ Rami right now.

trickydick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The trigger pull on my striker fired Walther PPS is awesome and its the same everytime you pull the trigger. The only safety is a trigger safety which isn't noticable when firing. I don't know where you live, but your welcome to come down and fire a magazine through it.

Shooting4Fun

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think this is really a personal perference. Do you want the extra safety and are you willing to train enough so muscle memory takes over understress?

I carry a Ruger sr9c with the safety on.

Latest posts

Top Bottom