What's Your Opinion On A Thumb Safety For CCW?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
have you ever owned a 1911 pistol? putting one in a holster cocked with the safety off will get you shot as it will only take the slightest bump to go off as you are holstering/unholstering it.

OK this is complete BS on a properly set up 1911. Please explain the specifics on how you THINK this happens. I know it's not a frequent occurence in reality but I'm just curious on what your theory is.

Bierhunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For CCW carry with no safety lever, I like the Sig DAK setup. Tha hammer auto-decocks, so it's always down after each round.

To me it feels just like shooting a DA revolver. It does take a little getting used to in a semi-auto, but that's what practice is for.

farmer17

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm big fan of the CZ-75 without the decocker. I also like 1911s and Smith revolvers and I have shot about every kind of gun made, but if I HAD to pick a gun with a decocker it would probably be the CZ-75 or the Sig. Not a fan of Glocks, XDs, M&ps or any gun with a short trigger pull and no thumb safety. I have shot guns with manual safety's my whole life and it is automatic in my muscle memory to "off" the safety before I shoot.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
OK this is complete BS on a properly set up 1911. Please explain the specifics on how you THINK this happens. I know it's not a frequent occurence in reality but I'm just curious on what your theory is.

Apparently your not fully reading or understanding what is written.
This concerns holstering a fully cocked hammer with the safety off.
Not cocked and locked! Not on half cock!
The slightest snag,piece of clothing,edge of holster -anything that could possibly touch the trigger with the 5-10 pounds of thrust it takes to push the gun firmly into the holster can cause a discharge.
The poster who asked the question was asking about holstering a cocked and NOT locked gun versus a glock or xd striker fired gun.

this is the reason law enforcement got away from the 1911

Don't believe me - load up your 1911- put one in the chamber-leave the hammer cocked back and the safety off -shove it into your inside the waistband or most any other holster a few times.
Be sure to let us know what hospital your at so we can come take some pictures.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This concerns holstering a fully cocked hammer with the safety off.
Not cocked and locked! Not on half cock!
The slightest snag,piece of clothing,edge of holster -anything that could possibly touch the trigger with the 5-10 pounds of thrust it takes to push the gun firmly into the holster can cause a discharge.
The poster who asked the question was asking about holstering a cocked and NOT locked gun versus a glock or xd striker fired gun.

this is the reason law enforcement got away from the 1911

Don't believe me - load up your 1911- put one in the chamber-leave the hammer cocked back and the safety off -shove it into your inside the waistband or most any other holster a few times.
Be sure to let us know what hospital your at so we can come take some pictures.

I own both. I re-holster my XD without a thumb safety, and it has as light a trigger as my Colt 1911. It's perfectly safe. I know where my fingers are and the trigger is during the process. Glocks don't even have a grip safety, and law enforcement re-holsters them without incident.

Thanks for the criticism, but I think you need to learn more about how the grip safety and triggers work.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

No I get it, you're backpeddling. You said the slightest bump so you obviously mispoke and or don't understand the mechanics. NOW you're saying something going through the trigger guard.... which would set of ANY firearm. (hence a LE or two has shot themselves with a Glock here or there.)

Funny, older Colt I used to carry had an improperly fit TS on it. It would become disengaged upon carrying in a VM2. Never went to the hospital.

Dr_Mitch

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I forgot to throw in the location of the safety. Sometimes while charging a pistol with the thumb safety located on the slide, the safety can become activated during the process. This is lame, but it happens to even the best at some point. I don't dig slide mounted safeties any longer because of this.

mhphoto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I carry different guns depending on the time of year, so I make sure I go over my draw technique until I can do it in my sleep for whatever gun I carry (USPc w/ thumb safety in the winter, CW9 w/o safety in the summer). It's no big deal to switch between them for me.

Latest posts

Top Bottom