When are you planting your food plots in 2024?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weston.cain

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just trying to get some feelers out there from the experts. Located just east of OKC and I usually wait until the second week of September but the weather this week looks favorable and plan to be in the blind on Oct 1st.

Thanks in advance!

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, you lost me at "experts" but here's my .02. Our place is east of Seminole. It's expecting rain this weekend but I suspect after the weekend it will get hot again for a bit and may strain your seedlings if they germinate from the weekend rain. We plant primarily clover and chicory so will wait until 2nd weekend of Sept. It's kind of a crap shoot.

Hope not too much rain as I need to till under a few acres and drag it out this weekend.

spooncg33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wheat will go in the 2nd week of September. Buck forage oats and Austrian winter peas will go in late September. I will try to overseed some clover with wheat as a carrier around the first of October, or when we have 4-5 days of wet weather forecasted.
Sept 15 at the earliest for me. I agree with the other guys, even though we have rain in the forecast there will still be several days of heat that could dry out the seeds. My wheat doesn’t start coming up until mid October bc I plant it later in Sept but that isn’t an issue for me bc I don’t usually hunt much until mid October.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Historically, I've planted wheat and turnips around the first of September hoping for a good growth by the Oct 1 opener. Had to replant a couple of times but wheat is pretty hardy if getting the variety for the NW that is a little drought tolerant.
If it craps out due to a string of dry weather, It just takes a day or so to replant so it's a gambling thing for me.
We had a couple years of wet fall weather, so put in some Ladino Clover that really came up great, but after two years of a fantastic food plot, we had two years of drought, so the clover died out.
I wish deer liked johnson grass. My food plots would last forever! LOL!

clintbailey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What are folks planting in far western OK? I know wheat of course, but anything else that might be ok in drier conditions like we have? My place is just a few miles from the TX panhandle, north of i-40 though. Never tried one out here much, so new to the game in this part of the country.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
What are folks planting in far western OK? I know wheat of course, but anything else that might be ok in drier conditions like we have? My place is just a few miles from the TX panhandle, north of i-40 though. Never tried one out here much, so new to the game in this part of the country.

About the only thing that can handle worse soil and drier conditions than wheat is rye. Personally I would just stick to the wheat. I know a couple of guys who plant then around the Shattuck area, their biggest battle every year is grasshoppers, they're going eat anything you plant unless it an unusually wet year. Deer will still eat on it buy grasshoppers will get a lot.

clintbailey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
About the only thing that can handle worse soil and drier conditions than wheat is rye. Personally I would just stick to the wheat. I know a couple of guys who plant then around the Shattuck area, their biggest battle every year is grasshoppers, they're going eat anything you plant unless it an unusually wet year. Deer will still eat on it buy grasshoppers will get a lot.
Soil should be good but always drought worries no doubt

Latest posts

Top Bottom