When police come to your home...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would open the door and proceed to take two steps backwards lay down chest on the ground and then interlock my fingers on the back of my head. I would feel comfortable answering any and all questions they may have while I gaze up at them from that position...

Serious answers are resounding no's.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They can make you stand on the porch until they return with a warrant.

Absent probable cause, no, they can't. The key to all of these questions is to not open the door. If they don't have a warrant, they cannot compel you to open the door or come out. If they have a warrant, they must announce so, unless they have a rare no-knock warrant. If that's the case, you'll be notified by the sound of a Halligan tool forcibly opening your door. If they can't talk to you through a closed door, there's no need for them to talk to you.

Once you step foot out your door, they have a LOT more leverage on you. Whether you're on your own front porch or not, you're in public view and it's much easier for them to detain you. If they have probable cause to get a warrant, let them come back with it. If they had probable cause to make you wait outside, they'd have probable cause to enter without a warrant.

ExSniper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What brought on this line of questioning? Seems like raving paranoia has gripped the forum and everyone expects LEOs to be kicking down the doors. What's up?

jsl_pt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
SPDguns said:
You carry in your HOUSE????

Is this sarcasm or serious question? I always carry in my house now as do many others on here I'm sure. If someone kicks in your door you won't always have time to go get your gun wherever it may be. If I'm home my gun is on me, unless I'm in bed then it's on the nightstand.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I actually know several people who salt guns in several rooms of the home. No need to carry, one is always within arms reach! :D

FWIW, you know you've discovered a good holster when the first thought you have upon arriving home isn't to get the danged thing off. :)

jsl_pt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Glocktogo said:
I actually know several people who salt guns in several rooms of the home. No need to carry, one is always within arms reach! :D

FWIW, you know you've discovered a good holster when the first thought you have upon arriving home isn't to get the danged thing off. :)

I agree with the holster part :)

Yeah we used to have guns "hidden" numerous places but with having a 2 year old now and another on the way we new we needed to start rethinking as they get older. So we now have a couple in gunvault safes, one upstairs and one downstairs, and then I carry when I'm home. Rest are in the gun safe now. As I got more comfortable carrying I hate not to be carrying even at home, it did take getting used to but now not a second thought about it, whether on the couch watching tv or in the backyard playing on the swing with our child, always have it, just a way of life now and just a tool in the off chance I need it. I will be prepared!

Latest posts

Top Bottom