Where can I get good fried chicken

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hack

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Try an independent grocery store. The ones that still have a fully staffed deli make fried chicken as a daily offering and you can get a bunch of other sides at the same time. Usually cheaper than a restaurant too. Reasors in Tulsa or Homeland in OKC.
Winco has fried chicken that will do in a pinch.

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I lived in Memphis, there was a restaurant called Buntyn's Cafe next to the railroad tracks and near MSU. The waitresses and cooks were all little old ladies. Linoleum covered table tops. All "homemade" food. Always packed with customers. I ate a lot of really good fried chicken, fresh baked rolls, and warm apple pie there. Does any place like that still exist near OKC?
IMO, you won't find a place like Gus's, Hattie B, or Uncle Lou's here in OKC. If back in Memphis, uncle Lou's is by the airport and best I have ever had.

Eishens is overrated in my opinion.

Will try the Drum Room.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The problem with trying to find "good" fried chicken is the CHICKENS being produced.
Bred for fast growth, heavy body weight, too much fat, rancid, heavy, yellow fat.

Find a small grocery store, meat market or local producer that has FRYERS. They are small, scrawny and what Grandma would fry.

I had a discussion last week, with the "butcher" (meat market manager) at our local grocery.
They advertised "FRYERS" on sale. The chicken they had in the counter, looked like small turkeys, 6-7#. Asked where the fryers were? He points to case.
"Nope, fryers are 3-3 1/2#, NOT frozen, best bone visible, no cleavage."
He responds, "I got some in like that, was going to send them back. Nobody will buy them"
I bought a case, 12.

Yesterday, stopped at store. Butcher sees me, "Dude, I took 1 of the "fryers" home for Wife to fry. DAMN, it reminded me of Grandma's fried chicken, so F***** good. I didn't know there was that much difference."

sherrick13

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Didn't every restaurant that was even open?
Nope. Almost none did in small towns. I was driving all over central OK trying new small town restaurants, because they all did in the metro area.

We ended up at another Okarche restaurant, no mask.

I spent a lot of $$ in Guthrie during covid. Did nearly all my home/grocery shopping there.

Latest posts

Top Bottom