where to put weapon after having a drink?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gbart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What is the legal thing to do if you have your gun in your truck and you have a couple glasses of wine at dinner? I had this scenario come up last night for a anniversary dinner and when i got to the truck i just unloaded put the mag in the glovbox and put the gun in the back floorboard. I didnt know what exactly was going to be illegal even though i was under the legal limit. What exactly is the rulling for that was i in the wrong or did the right thing?

Cue

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would excuse myself from drinking because I do not want to be a test case in the gray area of law.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think you did pretty good. If you do enjoy a drink occassionaly while out, then probably put a case of some sort in the truck, even a cheapy, just so the gun is not loose. If you have that kind of separation of ammo and weapon, you should be ok if stopped, however, no gun in an alcohol related stop is optimal. Be very careful with two glasses over dinner, if dinner is only an hour, it could be borderline. I am sure you know your limits, just a friend looking out for you.

Gbart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
oh yeah i understand actually it was over 3 hours in bricktown afterward we walked around etc. so i know i was within the legal limit. I just wanted to be as safe as i could. I dont make it a habit of having my weapon on me while drinking it was just a special occasion so we had a couple glasses. thanks for the replies.

Josh-L

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would never sacrifice not having a weapon to drink. But that's just me. CCW is a lifestyle and you have to adjust yours if you take it seriously.

carleb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think you did pretty good under the circumstances, once! But if in any case you were involved in any type of shooting any alcohol level could become an issue. Otherwise, it probably depends strictly on the individual LEO. If you're willing to take that risk.... I wouldn't let myself get set up in that situation. Guns and any level of alcohol do not mix. JMHO.

Gbart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think you did pretty good under the circumstances, once! But if in any case you were involved in any type of shooting any alcohol level could become an issue. Otherwise, it probably depends strictly on the individual LEO. If you're willing to take that risk.... I wouldn't let myself get set up in that situation. Guns and any level of alcohol do not mix. JMHO.

Yeah i totally understand and for sure wont be making a habit of it. I just figured it had happened to someone else as well so trying to get a take on whether i was actually "illegal" or not. Wouldnt it qualify as say you went to the shooting range to shoot some skeet then went somewhere else and had a beer, then proceeded to go home and stow the weapons would that be illegal too? Like i said i hardly ever drink just wondering if it would have been legal with a case or in a trunk or whatnot. Maybe an LEO will pop in and give their say so.

stewartglock

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I thought it was illegal to transport a firearm after consuming alcohol in any amount, but I could be wrong. I will still go by that rule for myself so that I don't become a test case.

If you are stopped, even if under the legal limit, with a firearm (unloaded or not) I would think your credibility to the LEO would then be in question.

Latest posts

Top Bottom