Where would you go

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FOG

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I lived and hunted in SE OK and later leased land in NW OK for several years. Grant Co. Was awesome and my wife and I killed several nice bucks and frankly it seemed easier to me due mostly to the open terrain and being able to see deer a mile away.

Having said that, I still prefer the SE mountains partly because of the challenge but most of all I miss the commoradery of old timey deer camps. It was a memorable experience visiting different camps throughout the week of gun season and catching up with old friends.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is an interesting thread. I'm a "deer" hunter first and foremost which my land on the river fulfills nicely, but it's really a mixed bag place. There are a bunch of quail, a few pheasants, a growing population of turkeys, and usually a bunch of ducks, but like Deer Slayer and Sticky Stokes said, time is definitely my enemy.

I'm sure there are better places than mine, but I'll stick with what I know.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I still prefer the SE mountains partly because of the challenge but most of all I miss the commoradery of old timey deer camps. It was a memorable experience visiting different camps throughout the week of gun season and catching up with old friends.

A permanent deer camp is one of the things that I would fall in love with. I'm so Jealous of those that have had that tradition in their lives. Kids growing up in that culture, and old timers passing along their knowledge has to be priceless. That's deer hunting the way its supposed to be in the purist way of thinking.

OkieShooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I grew up in a deer camp. Still have it every rifle season. Is more about camping and camaraderie but we always find deer to harvest. But remember hunting wheat field edges in Logan County when was in college at OSU. Totally different kind of hunting but fun just the same. Guess have just been in the hills and timber here too long and have a craving to get out and adventure while I'm still young enough to do it.

OkieShooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong. I think I live and hunt in the best part of the state. Can be on several of the prettiest lakes in the state in minutes. Great deer hunting on private and public areas. Good turkey hunting. But have only pheasant hunted once for wild birds. Was a blast. Don't even know anyone with bird dogs anymore since haven't had quail in years. Think it would be fun to chase elk every year like in the sw area. But do get to bait and hunt bears here where rest of the state don't. Have good trout fishing that rest of the state travel for. Is a give and take. But who wouldn't like camps all over the state for the different opportunities

Latest posts

Top Bottom