Which .223 bolt action?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've gotten tired of watching where my brass goes instead of watching where my bullet hits, so I'm trading my Mini14 for a bolt action. Local store has Savage Axis, Ruger American, Remington 700.
Which would you choose, and why?

What about the new Remington, I think it's the 783? He doesn't have one, and not sure if it's chambered in .223.

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought my son an Axis in .243 a couple of years ago. It doesn't have the Accu-Trigger, but still a nice rifle. He's probably the only person in the world to get a scope cut from a .243. Leaned forward in a lawn chair in a pop-up blind and shooting uphill. No stitches, but nasty enough.

Neanderthal

In Remembrance / March 2023
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like Savage, although I'm not a huge fan of the accu-trigger. I use a Remington 700 SPS .223 and absolutely love it. For coyotes, it's my "go-to" rifle.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
CZ 527 might be something for you to look at. I have two of the carbines, one in 223 and the other in 7.62 Soviet. Love both of them.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A Remington 700 is a stellar platform to start a build off of. The stock rifle will be good enough to an extent, but parts are plenty for it.
Savage also makes a good accurate rifle. Look for that accutrigger though.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just recently picked up a Axis 223. I am utterly impressed with it. It will group tight. I put a Redfield by Luepold 3x9x40 on it. And it is accurate. I did have to order a Weaver Multi Slot Savage Axis Base for Riflescopes #48347 to fit the scope on it. As the rifle did not come with a one peice pic mount, but two individual mounts that would not allow enough room to mount the scope. The Weaver #48347 was only $15.

I was looking at either a Savage or a Mossberg Predator. I ran onto a clearance Axis at the local Walmart for $200 and could not pass it up. I like the rifle.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just recently picked up a Axis 223. I am utterly impressed with it. It will group tight. I put a Redfield by Luepold 3x9x40 on it. And it is accurate. I did have to order a Weaver Multi Slot Savage Axis Base for Riflescopes #48347 to fit the scope on it. As the rifle did not come with a one peice pic mount, but two individual mounts that would not allow enough room to mount the scope. The Weaver #48347 was only $15.

I was looking at either a Savage or a Mossberg Predator. I ran onto a clearance Axis at the local Walmart for $200 and could not pass it up. I like the rifle.
Is tight? Sub moa, Moa, 1.5 Moa?

Latest posts

Top Bottom