Which .223 bolt action?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
CZ 527 might be something for you to look at. I have two of the carbines, one in 223 and the other in 7.62 Soviet. Love both of them.

just makes too much sense .. bolt action in the most economical to shoot .223 and 7.62 x 39 ..

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
CZ 527 might be something for you to look at. I have two of the carbines, one in 223 and the other in 7.62 Soviet. Love both of them.

+1

Huge :explode: for the buck with CZ. I've got a 550 in 308 and it shoots great. I'd recommend the 527 in a heartbeat. Shot a guys in 7.62X39 out at Tri-City once and it was a tack driver (he handloaded his ammo).

cktad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anyone shot the Mossburg? My son in law has one the early bolt actions in .270. It's capable of MOA.
I've only taken mine out one time and using surplus ammo it shot well, right at MOA on some groups. It functioned well using several brands of AR15 mags. When I bought mine last year the MVP was hard to find, don't know about now.

coorsman_ok

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like Savage, although I'm not a huge fan of the accu-trigger. I use a Remington 700 SPS .223 and absolutely love it. For coyotes, it's my "go-to" rifle.

Like Neanderthal I also have the 700 SPS and love it as well. Flat black, houge overmold stock, 20" medium/heavy barrel 1/9 twist. Mine shoots sub moa with 55gr VMax and will shoot sub moa with the 69gr as well. It's got a heck of a lot going on for a factory rifle that's under $700. The only thing Remington could have done to make it better would have been making it with a threaded barrel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. Too many options though, I was sorta hoping everyone would suggest the same brand!:)
Cedar Creek, I've already talked to Ronny. Heck of a little store he's got there isn't it? I've given up on the trade idea though, I'll just sell it. Dealers have to resell the item, so they obviously can't give you full value. Or I may just give it to my son. He could've used it the other day when 4 coyotes were about to dine on one of his calves.

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pulp, I have owned several 223 bolt guns over the years, and the one I have now is the one I like best. A stevens 200 without accutrigger. It is the older stevens with the 3 screw trigger and at 180 measured yards I can ring the top 2" portion of a T post 9 out of 10 times from a rest.
The newer Stevens 200's trigger is crap, and a good replacement trigger for the new one is about $120.00. Rebarreling and changing caliber on Savage 10/110 type actions is really easy. I think I have done about 8 in the past year. The latest was a Savage 111 in 30-06 that I converted to 458 win mag. Old style trigger, had to change the bolt head, firing pin, add a new ejector and extractor. All the parts except the barrel came from Midway. If you watch the various gun forums, you can pick up parts pretty reasonably when someone does a caliber change and doesn't hoard the parts like I do in anticipation of another build...

snipes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Like Neanderthal I also have the 700 SPS and love it as well. Flat black, houge overmold stock, 20" medium/heavy barrel 1/9 twist. Mine shoots sub moa with 55gr VMax and will shoot sub moa with the 69gr as well. It's got a heck of a lot going on for a factory rifle that's under $700. The only thing Remington could have done to make it better would have been making it with a threaded barrel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

just bought the same rifle a few weeks ago with a Leupold 3x9, practically brand new.
accuracy is $$$ but I'm not certain I like the weight of the gun with the heavy barrel.

Latest posts

Top Bottom