Which 40 cal pistol is best?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveD2

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My OPINION (based on having owned both a G23 and an XD)....
Nothing wrong with the Glock but replaced it with an XD. XDs feel better, aim more naturally, and are MUCH more accurate (in my hands). Also like their sights much more than the Glock's.
+1 for whichever fits you best.

Diggerman

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Guess I'll be the different guy, me likes the Walther PPS. Very small and very controlable. Easy to fit in your jeans pocket if a holster is not wanted as long as you're not worried about the muzzle pointed at your crotch!:thumbup3:

hullxsm

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am partial to Berettas but have particular reasons. My opinion is to test as many as you can before purchasing. TFA has a few models to try but only go there if you can be a guest as the daily fee is $25 for non members. Go as a guest of a friend who has a member ship. Heck, I'll meet you there if you want and let you shoot my PX4 Storm.

I haven't decided fully on a CC gun and am looking into a Beretta Cougar myself. The key for me is what feels good, what can I shoot accurately and what conceals well.

As you can see everyone has their opinion so do as much testing and research as you can before purchasing then don't get in a hurry as there are deals out there for the patient.

dru

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
M&P40c for my hands. As far as reliablility/go-bang factor, the XD/Glock/M&P all seem on par. but the XD/Glock are too boxy, for my taste, to carry, and on top of that I don't like the glock's grip angle. The M&P fit like a glove. Now when it comes to a full size I love my XD45tactical to death. I don't have experience with the Kahr so I can't coment. I also like the Sprinfield EMP, but the limited capacity gets me there.

Came here to say this. I have an M&P9c and would highly recommend their .40S&W as well. I like the triggers on the M&P much more than the glock, they boast high quality construction, don't look as boxy, don't necessarily have any manually disengaged safeties (biggie for me), and the adjustible backstraps means me or my wife can carry it comfortably.

Go with an M&P40c. you know you want to

Reaction score
The best one is one chambered in 9x19mm. And it's called the CZ 75.

But kidding aside, there are a few 75 models offered in .40 S&W, IINM - so I'd run with that. If you can get a PCR or P-01 in .40, that's pretty much the ultimate all-purpose compact carry rig. The SW M&P is a nice pistol, however, if you do 'go plastic'.

Don't forget, you can get 1911s in .40 too, and they are usually VERY nice pistols. It's mostly about the method of carry you'll be using, the consequently the weight you want, the trigger/action type you prefer, and the budget. Right now, the two pistols that I carry are the CZ 85 (just a variant of the 75), and the Kahr .380 for deep concealment. I will occasionally carry a Taurus 24/7 OSS-DS in .45 acp.... if that helps any.

Latest posts

Top Bottom