Which gunsmith to use........

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SgtMojo67

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm looking at doing a complete rebuild of my Howa 1500 .300 win mag. The barrel is not threaded so the question is....Would you have a gunsmith thread the barrel so you could interchange muzzle breaks, or would you have a gunsmith just port the barrel?.........Please give me the reason for your choice and if possible, what the cost would be if you have any experience. Thanks!

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Do you ever plan to use a suppressor? Most people don't enjoy the noise and blast from a 300 Win mag that has a muzzle break. At least the guys shooting next to them don't.

Honeybee

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The choice is up to you, I can do either one for you BUT if you thread the barrel, you could use a Break, a Flash hider, a Supressor, an Oil can (yea I am not kidding but it is kind of a joke), even perhaps a grenade launcher.

aeropb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Get a brake. Won't be allowed in some matches but they greatly aid shootability of the hard kicking stuff. The muzzle blast and noise are notably horrendous though. You'll also kick up clouds of dirt, gravel, and grass if you're shooting prone too.

GlockPride

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would recommend having Franson (Honeybee) thread it and using a suppressor. Think about quieting it down and adding weight out on the front end to help with recoil AND controlling the blast all in one. Win-win-win