which is better choice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bilboben

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Bigger don't always make up for a bad shot :mean: Later,

Kirk

I agree 100%. The problem is, I hae never seen a hog not moving, snorting, rooting, etc. Not like a deer that will have that still moment (smelling of danger). The only time I saw a hog remotely still, it was laying on its side sleeping (and even then, moved more than your normal sleeping critter). So when your point of aim is constantly in motion and it is as tough as a hog, bigger is better

bilboben

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use a 223 all the time for hogs and have yet to make the perfect shot for "one shot drop". One shot slows them down alot, but a couple of more is needed, espacially big hogs(200-300 lbs). I do not have a 7mm but my 30-30 and 308 both have made one shot drops on pigs of all sizes.

The only reason I have used the 223 is that it is with me most of the time while checking the livestock. If I am going hog hunting it is always the bigger rifle.

Ksmirk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes sir I agree bigger bullets normally do more harm to critters than little bullets, the pigs I have shot which ain't many were from a long range so I wasn't too worried about them eating a leg off or anything. I would like to see some 175SMK's from my 308 hit some from distance though and if I can get these 208's going I'm sure that would be an interesting WHOP when the bullet hit. If I have get up close and personal with a piggie I'll opt for the 12ga. slug! my uncle raised chester whites and those things can get a bit upset and tear things up. Later,

Kirk

Latest posts

Top Bottom