Which one ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gebrown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sounds like you made a good choice. Now the only thing left to do is get yourself and the wife out to familiarize yourselves with your chosen weapons. The only thing more dangerous than being in a life threatening situation without a firearm is being in a life threatening situation with a firearm that you cannot operate. Remember you are only about half as good in a high stress situation as you are on your best day at the range. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks for the reply. Any recommendations on where to fire? I'd prefer a place where we can go shoot cans and stuff but a range is fine too.

beast1989

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you are new to firearms make sure you AND your wife learn proper gun safety before you handle those weapons. Also make sure both of you practice disengaging the safety features (I believe the ruger has at least one), clearing malfunctions, changing magazines, and clearing the firearm of ammunition.

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you are new to firearms make sure you AND your wife learn proper gun safety before you handle those weapons. Also make sure both of you practice disengaging the safety features (I believe the ruger has at least one), clearing malfunctions, changing magazines, and clearing the firearm of ammunition.

Do this with unloaded guns if possible. Has your wife shot a pump 12 GA before? Be prepared, she might totally hate it. That's a lot of recoil for *most* women.

Gebrown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do this with unloaded guns if possible. Has your wife shot a pump 12 GA before? Be prepared, she might totally hate it. That's a lot of recoil for *most* women.

We practiced some with both weapons unloaded the night we got them. We have yet to load the shotgun, neither of us have had a shotgun before so we need some training/practice with that for sure!
She hasn't fired a shotgun before, but we're both in the Air Force so we've handled the M-16, I know it doesn't have the same kick as a 12 guage, but we do have some weapons experience.
I was also 9MM qualified about 14 years ago, wow, I didn't realize it had been that long, dang, time flies!
We both need to become familiar with these weapons and some practice time for sure! My dad is coming to visit over the Holidays, he knows quiet a bit about guns so I'll pick his brain.

Speaking of practice, I'm still looking for a place. Especially with my dad coming to visit, I told him I'd try to find a place so we can try out my new guns and he may bring a couple of his.
Perfer outside but an indoor range is good too.

Thanks all

Boomer45

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would try several different loads when working with your wife and the 12 gauge. She can practice with low recoil loads. I started my wife with the Winchester low recoil trap loads and then worked her up to the buck shot. You can tell low recoil from standard loads by the brass at the bottom of the shell. The more brass there is the more recoil the shell is going to have. As far as a shooting spot. There is the outdoor Oklahoma Wildlife Department range in Lexington that is free, however you have to have a hunting license. For an indoor range there is always H&H over by White Water Bay. There is also Gun World in Del City however Im not really a fan of that place.

Gebrown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would try several different loads when working with your wife and the 12 gauge. She can practice with low recoil loads. I started my wife with the Winchester low recoil trap loads and then worked her up to the buck shot. You can tell low recoil from standard loads by the brass at the bottom of the shell. The more brass there is the more recoil the shell is going to have. As far as a shooting spot. There is the outdoor Oklahoma Wildlife Department range in Lexington that is free, however you have to have a hunting license. For an indoor range there is always H&H over by White Water Bay. There is also Gun World in Del City however Im not really a fan of that place.

Thanks for the places to fire and the heads up on Gun World. Can you elaborate more about Gun World? If you can't say in a public forum can you PM me ?

jc5420

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
please stay away from Gun World, avoid that place like the plague! I am sorry I cannot help with your search for a range as the only outdoor range I have been to Canadian Valley Rifle Range, does not allow shotguns. I normally have private land to shoot on when I feel the need. Hope you can find a place. If you decide to go to Canadian Valley Rifle Range, be sure to call first, because the past 2 years he has been closed for 2 weeks during the holidays.

GL and Happy Holidays!

Latest posts

Top Bottom