Which reloading press do you use?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vdub

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I started out with a Lee Classic Breech Lock Kit. I have since replaced every single piece of equipment from that kit. I now use the following but I only load 308 and some occasional 223. Most of my reloading is for accuracy and not mass quantities. I will say the Forster Co-Ax operates very differently that any other press and the ergonomics are said to not be for every one. I absolutely love it and bonus is you don't have to use shell holders.

Forster Co-Ax press (single stage)
Redding Bushing Competition Dies (Bought the 3 Die set then purchased the Full Length Bushing Die separately)
RCBS Chargemaster
Lee Universal Decapping Die

One thing that has been mentioned is the equipment you purchase should very much be dictated by what you are wanting to reload. Mass quantities and not the best for consistancy get a progressive. Small quantities but better for consistancy get a single stage. Then tailor your accessories to your needs. Regardless as listed by many here, you will more than likely upgrade and replace equipment once you figure out what works best for your method of reloading. Lots of good advice and equipment selection in this thread.

rebelracer79

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That makes alot of since, I also started with the breech lock kit, and it is great for me when I'm loading for accuracy with .308 and .30-06 but when I load .223 I'm just loading plinkin ammo, and I need something faster, I'm leaning more toward a turret than a progressive tho, just seems a bit more simple.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
finally purchased a used Dillon 550B from another OSA... which was a total mistake. don't ever purchase a used Dillon 550B unless you are assured ALL pieces are there.

mine was missing the entire powder dispenser and other major components. paid $400 + another $130 to Dillon for missing parts and I'm not done yet. what a PITA!!!

newbie Dillon users have no way of telling what's missing and what's complete. if I had to do this over again... I'd purchase from Brian Enos just to get the support.

my 550B is still not functional after spending $$$$$..... so I'm still reloading on my trusty RCBS.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
finally purchased a used Dillon 550B from another OSA... which was a total mistake. don't ever purchase a used Dillon 550B unless you are assured ALL pieces are there.

mine was missing the entire powder dispenser and other major components. paid $400 + another $130 to Dillon for missing parts and I'm not done yet. what a PITA!!!

newbie Dillon users have no way of telling what's missing and what's complete. if I had to do this over again... I'd purchase from Brian Enos just to get the support.

my 550B is still not functional after spending $$$$$..... so I'm still reloading on my trusty RCBS.

Dillons manuals are available online. They have a complete breakdown of all parts, down to the nuts and bolts.

Sucks you had to go through it though, but hopefully the above info will help someone else who might be purchasing a used press.

XDnOK

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Another cheap guy here, I use a Lee turret press for small batch stuff and a couple Lee Load masters for high volume stuff. I might have 3 presses for the price of a 550 so I'm happy :-))

jdgabbard

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been using Lee Breech Locks for quite some time. I have two, that I've used for 2-3 years... And a classic cast that I've used much longer. As well as a hand press I use when I'm in the field. I see no reason to upgrade, unless I decide to go to a turret or progressive press. Then I might go with another brand. But for my needs these three presses serve me just fine.

Latest posts

Top Bottom