which router

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lockoutmonkey

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My wife and I both got e-readers for christmas. We use hard wired DSL now on our p.c., but now we need a wireless connection. Which router is the best to use?
We don't game, so I assume we can life without lightning fast speeds for now. I will have 1 p.c. that is hardwired, and 2 wireless devices(Kindle and Cruz). The house is about 1200 sq. ft.
Linksys has a few I like that will do what we need. They also come highly recommended by others.
What says the community?

aodh

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've used Net Gear, Cisco, and Link Sys, never* had a problem with any of them. Last one I installed was a Cisco, it had a set up wizard that made it practically brainless to do, and it walked me through the set up security. The older models didn't have autosetup of the security and you had to know something about network security to set up a secure network.

I'd recommend a Cisco or Linksys from WallyWorld and pick one of the middle to upper price ones. Any of them in that range will handle the house size and have all the bells and whistles the Ereader and other consumer wireless gizmos need as well as decent security.

If your gizmos can handle it, I suggest turning broadcast of you SSID to "off" as part of the security set up.
------------------------------------
*at least in the last 15 years!

dwalker

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used a Linksys for about three years, then, it just quit working. I have now had dlink for about a year. Both of the routers had to be reset occasionally but pulling the power plug but that was a minor inconvenience. I did a quick look on Consumer Reports but there was no ratings for routers. You might check www.cnet.com for their ratings. Sorry, not much help but between the two I have used, no strong feelings either way, but that could be a good thing too. No major problems with either but was a little disappointed with the three year life span of the Linksys. Good luck and happy reading!

jstaylor62

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you get a Linksys/Cisco E3000 router, do not apply the latest firmware version available! If you do it via network cable it errors out. But if you try to do it via wireless, it turns your router into a brick.

Latest posts

Top Bottom