Which "Tactical" Boot?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

promiseofwar

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was thinking about getting a pair of Oakley Assault 8" boot to use for hunting, cold weather, hiking etc. Any other recommendations and any specifics such as 6" vs 8"? Thanks!!

aestus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In terms of leather boots. The Danner USMC Rat boots are hands down the best pair of all terrain boots I've ever worn. Danner makes the best version of the USMC Rat boots. Don't buy the other brands. Danner is now the only official maker of these boots for the USMC.

They have a gortex lined version for wet / cold climates and a summer/hot weather version that has vents to promote air flow. The soles are more comfortable than most sports shoes I've worn and it's constructed the traditional way so that the sole is stitched on. This means if the soles are ever worn, Danner or a local shoesmith can put a new one on. Full tongue and fiberglass half shank in the sole to reduce fatigue when walking on jagged rocks. These boots friggin rock. Sometimes, they'll have deals where you can get these for 60% off at their hitthebreakroom.com site.

For lighter hiking shoes that fit and wear more like performance/athletic shoes but still meant for outdoor and hard terrain, check out Salomons. Their hiking GTX line is the preferred outdoor boots for professional hikers and also many special ops teams and seals. Salomons rock too, especially for how rugged they are and how light they are compared to normal "boots."

promiseofwar

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In terms of leather boots. The Danner USMC Rat boots are hands down the best pair of all terrain boots I've ever worn. Danner makes the best version of the USMC Rat boots. Don't buy the other brands. Danner is now the only official maker of these boots for the USMC.

They have a gortex lined version for wet / cold climates and a summer/hot weather version that has vents to promote air flow. The soles are more comfortable than most sports shoes I've worn and it's constructed the traditional way so that the sole is stitched on. This means if the soles are ever worn, Danner or a local shoesmith can put a new one on. Full tongue and fiberglass half shank in the sole to reduce fatigue when walking on jagged rocks. These boots friggin rock. Sometimes, they'll have deals where you can get these for 60% off at their hitthebreakroom.com site.

For lighter hiking shoes that fit and wear more like performance/athletic shoes but still meant for outdoor and hard terrain, check out Salomons. Their hiking GTX line is the preferred outdoor boots for professional hikers and also many special ops teams and seals. Salomons rock too, especially for how rugged they are and how light they are compared to normal "boots."

Thanks!!

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I second the danner. I have a pair of danner boots that were made for cqb type ops and they will not get your feet wet. And they look like a pair of high top shoes. Extremely comfortable.

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm a huge fan of lowa's I like the zephyr and the innox for warmer weather. The meindels (cabelas brand) are great boots as well. I prefer an 8" boot. The lowas are super comfortable. Steer clear of the under armor boots. They are fairly comfortable but severely lacking in durability. The danners are good. Also look at ecco some of the most comfortable shoes I've ever owned. Very durable. I've had a couple of pairs last two years or so with almost daily wear.

Sent from NSA wire tapped device.

whiskeysnoot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought the 5.11 Waterproof Taclites 8" almost 3 yrs ago to take to Africa and then to use at home for work, hunting, etc. Most comfortable boots out of the box I can remember. After 3yrs, still waterproof andhave had no issues whatsoever (can't say that about all 5.11 boots, though). Have them on right now at work due to rain.

Not knocking Danner but I couldn't find a comfortable model for me.

Latest posts

Top Bottom