who are the top 1911 pistolsmiths in oklahoma?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Traxxis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I dunno if anyone is building for them anymore?
They do, but her smith only works like one day a week... he's a very.... ahem... experienced gentlemen. He's got to be in his 80's, but he seems to have a pretty bad case of tremors, not sure if that affects his work though.
Wow, 1911 pistolsmiths is a lot of pistolsmiths....

BA-DUM-TSHHHHH

There's your god awful joke of the day.

:nutkick: that is all.

DBG would be a great choice.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They do, but her smith only works like one day a week... he's a very.... ahem... experienced gentlemen. He's got to be in his 80's, but he seems to have a pretty bad case of tremors, not sure if that affects his work though.

If you're referring to "The Greek", he passed away recently.

38Super

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As everyone has stated, olyeller and Dr. Greyson. However, a little known 1911 smithconsidered one of the top 5 in the nation by many very knowledgeable shooters is Kevin Toothman. He's the smith at USSA. Be prepared to shell out serious $$$ if you want him to build a gun though.

What he said. I have one of his custom guns that started life as a .38 Super but two years ago got converted to .40. It is a wide body Caspian.
The man is an artist plus a heck of a nice guy and a most excellent shooter also.

Traxxis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's a good lookin' pistol there buddy.

Now just mill it for sights, get an extended thumb safety, BTGS and an ignition kit and you'll be set for life. :)

Congratulations on your first purchase.

okieglock83

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've heard great things about Dr. Greyson but have no personal experience with him. Mike has done several pistols for me ranging from 1911s to Glocks and I've always been more than please. He's actually got one of mine right now that we're doing a full build on. Got to check progress on it last week and I haven't slept well since I was so stoked. Mike will continue to get all my pistolsmithing needs for as long as I can afford him as his work is easily on par with much more expensive smiths. Here's to hoping he remebers the little guys and we should all feel blessed to not only have such great choices in the great state of Oklahoma but on Shooters as well.

- J.

grwd

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
You aint got the bill yet... ;)

I appreciate the kudos on this thread, dont get me wrong, but these types of replies are really just individual people's opinions.
A "best "thread can have some good info, but someone in the market would best be served by a "bad smith" thread. Theres a few real doozies out there.

Kevin Toothman is a hell of a experienced 1911 smith and he does and knows more than me, for sure.
Barry has taught and showed me a lot of things that I would have otherwise spent a good amount of time on my part learning.
All I can do with guns in front of me is give them the best possible work I am capable of, and give strict attention to detail.

Dr. Barry Greyson

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
+1

Mike is very skilled and I am sure he will doing fine 1911 builds for many years to come...hopefully, so will I G-d willing -lol.

Barry :)

PS: ...and Mr. Toothman...and John Nowlin jr. if he gets back into building,etc.,etc.

BJG

grwd

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Also, there is only one 1911smith skilled enough enough to work on my teeth.

Barry is also an outstanding dentist.

and I would never talk smack about him or his work, because he'd grab the ether for sure.

Latest posts

Top Bottom