Who has hung a large wall tv?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dx3

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Guys,

Have been wanting to mount a 55" tv above my fireplace (not a real fireplace so no chimney issues), but not sure all the logistics behind running the wiring etc. Who has done it, and any advice/recommendations? I don't particularly want to pay someone hundreds of dollars to do it, so would like to try to accomplish it myself. Anyone?

Thanks,
Jonny

thaHooligan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
its not that hard. i hung my 55" vizio myself. i went to lowes and bought a mounting kit. the only bad part about it was it didnt come with any instructions, but it wasnt all that hard to figure out. i would definitely get a stud finder to be sure u get the bolts dead center. i did all of it myself, but the only part i needed help with was just lifting the tv up on to the bracket. i pre drilled the holes into the studs for the bolts and just use a level and mark ur holes so ur tv isnt crooked, lol. after i got the tv up, i marked a spot behind the tv out of view and close to where all the cords plug in and drilled about a 2" hole with a hole saw, or w/e its called, into the sheet rock. then i ran my cords down through the wall and made another hole behind my entertainment center for them to come out and connect to the xbox, dvd, surround sound, and cable box. its not all that hard, just takes a little time.

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I mounted a 50" on my wall and ran all of the cable. You really have two options.

1. run all the cable straight down from the tv and hide it with a cable raceway. You can paint it to match your wall. Not a bad option.

2. (This is what I did) I installed a power outlet behind the TV by splicing into the existing power that was already on that wall (this way the power cable will be hidden behind the TV). Second, you will need a AV wall plate to hook up all of your equipment (DVR, Bluray, Xbox, etc). You can either install one behind the tv and near the base of the wall, or what I did was just cut a hole in the drywall behind the tv and feed the cable down to a nice AV wall plate. The AV plate I have, has an HDMI, RJ45, component, RCA, and a coaxial connection. Everything I needed to hook up all of my equipment. The plates have connectors that are female on both sides.

I didn't want the raceway, so I went for the cleaner look. Plus it's nice to have all of connections on a wall plate, versus having to try and get behind the small space behind your TV to connect/disconnect stuff. BTW, the wall plate ran me $45 and maybe $20 for the 12 gauge electrical wire and power outlet. Hope this helps.

Here's a link to the kind of plate i'm talking about. Not the one I have, but you get the idea.

http://www.ramelectronics.net/audio...omponent-video-audio-120920x/prod120920X.html

dowmace

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
When I wall mount I always hole saw into the wall and come out either in the attic or close to the floor and keep things as clean as possible.

For the actual wall mount bracket I use Unistrut, one piece of 1-5/8" bolted to the wall, and a piece of 7/8" bolted to the back of the tv. Just pick the tv up and set the 7/8" into the 1-5/8" and your done. I usually use some spring nuts and 3/8" bolts on the ends to make double sure the strut can't slide of the end.

If you do it that way you'll only have 10 bucks or less in your mount and it'll hold up anything you want to hang on it. I've hung 55" tv's like that for years. The only downside is that you can't turn the tv.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you want a great price on wall mounts go to monoprice.com I got one for $12 for the 36" flatscreen in the bedroom.

This times eleventy-billion.

Do NOT get screwed by any of the big-box stores (even the discount ones!) by paying too much for a wall-mount! I paid $35 or so for the massive heavy-duty one for my 54" plasma and it definitely exceeded my expectations in terms of solidity. I think it's rated for like 175 lbs and I believe every bit of it. Some people have told me about what a "great deal" they've gotten on some of these mounts from the stores on "clearance" for like $70-80 and I just shake my head. Monoprice rocks, and they ship quick, too. Order it today, you'll probably have it before the end of the week.

Mine is a tilting bracket which you are going to need if you're mounting above the fireplace. They also have tilting and swiveling ones. I can't recommend them strongly enough.

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
42" by myself
bought a kit on Amazon, came with a bubble level in the mount and a separate magnetic bubble level
used a finish nail and pencil in lieu of a stud finder
instructions listed the wrong drill size but I got that sorted

wasn't hard. shouldn't use up a whole CPU.

Monoprice got hacked recently.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Monoprice got hacked recently.

Monoprice got hacked once, in early March of 2010. They immediately corrected the problem and I have ordered from them probably a dozen times since then with zero issues. They are McAfee and VeriSign Secure, tested daily, and it is shown on main page of their website. They are tested and re-verified daily. Also verified by TRUSTe and TrustWave. They support the latest SSL security and 128-bit encryption.

I guess "recent" is a relative term...

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Monoprice got hacked once, in early March of 2010. They immediately corrected the problem and I have ordered from them probably a dozen times since then with zero issues. They are McAfee and VeriSign Secure, tested daily, and it is shown on main page of their website. They are tested and re-verified daily. Also verified by TRUSTe and TrustWave. They support the latest SSL security and 128-bit encryption.

I guess "recent" is a relative term...

Canned daily robot scans mean little and are there to win over people who don't know any better. Trustwave is PCI compliance, not what you think it means.
How many of those icons were there when it got hacked?

They do not support the latest SSL. The SSL used on their site was standardized about 12 years ago.
I guess "latest" is a relative term.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom