Whole house generator

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How long have you had it? Any mechanical issues. It seems like everyone I talk to has 22k.
Absolutely no issues. It turns on once a week or so as a test and warm up then shuts off. We have a service agreement with the company for $250yr I believe. They check it, change fluids and ensure all is good. This summer when the hood had no electricity for some hours it was nice to sit in the ac and watch tv. We had the only lights in the community, lol.

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We have a 22KW Generac with a 400A ATS (required by the utility) that was installed 4 years ago and I’d absolutely do it again. Only has a total of 23 hours on it right now and that includes the 5 minute exercise it runs every two weeks. Did the first oil change myself which was no big deal but decided to have the dealer come out for the 20 hour service which was more extensive requiring a valve adjustment etc…. Figured if there was ever a warranty issue I didn’t want anyone calling that into question. Next service, at 200 hours is more routine which I’ll do myself and likely all the others from here on out.
Now the reason for the 22KW is that it’s the largest air cooled generator they offer and anything bigger would have a radiator which is something else I’d have to deal with. We’re out in the county and running it on propane which, if memory serves gives around 8% more power….something in the area of 93 Amps. Something else to consider is if you are running a furnace or a heat pump. I’ve never had a whole house generator before nor have I had a heat pump so this has been a real learning experience. IF you have a heat pump and WHEN it gets real cold those darn heat-strips are going to kick in and they are energy pigs. We have three in our home and each one of them draws around 82 Amps so there’s no way a 22KW generator can handle one along with any other loads let alone three of the darn things. I found a solution but it took some thinking.

Lucky

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Absolutely no issues. It turns on once a week or so as a test and warm up then shuts off. We have a service agreement with the company for $250yr I believe. They check it, change fluids and ensure all is good. This summer when the hood had no electricity for some hours it was nice to sit in the ac and watch tv. We had the only lights in the community, lol.
Thank you

Latest posts

Top Bottom