Whole house generator

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The reason being if it takes a few years to get to 25 hours, the break in oil is still in there and they said it could get thick.
I came to the same conclusion so I called Generac tech support. The guy explained that the break-in oil was simply good ol’ non-synthetic like we put in our cars 30+ years ago. At two years I changed it myself and now two years after that I just had the 25 hour service performed by factory authorized dealer. I was 4 hours early but again after a call to Generac they said it was close enough.

spooncg33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a quote today and a quote last week. 22KW Generac for a single story home with natural gas was quoted 15.5K and 19K. I was tempted to say yes at 11-12K, but these prices have me pumping the breaks. A lot of our neighbors have them and love it when it’s in use. Trying to get one more quote and then decide if we forget it or pony up the money and buy one.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had a quote today and a quote last week. 22KW Generac for a single story home with natural gas was quoted 15.5K and 19K. I was tempted to say yes at 11-12K, but these prices have me pumping the breaks. A lot of our neighbors have them and love it when it’s in use. Trying to get one more quote and then decide if we forget it or pony up the money and buy one.
Did they do an actual load study? I mean actually check all the tags on your appliances and stuff? When they did my mom's it only came up that she needed 14kw and there's a touch of safety factor in that.

She has electric range, electric oven and a 3.25 ton AC unit. It'll run all of it plus some lights and other small stuff. I think the default is to just install a 20kw to 22kw for everyone but unless you have a whole lot of stuff it's usually overkill.

It'll save you some $$$ if you can drop down some on capacity.

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I can't justify the cost to buy convenience. I have two 8,000-watt portables in big plastic enclosures under my front porch. Plus, I have a Honda 1000-watt inverter generator for computers. If we lose power, I just open up one of the big boxes and fire one up. I keep the other one for a backup or switch the two if needed to fuel up one. I run cords through a front window and tape up around it with duct tape to keep fumes out. If I didn't already have this set up, I might be interested in a whole house generator. I live in town, and we rarely have long power failures. Our electrical feed to the house in underground so, losing power over an ice storm ripping the feed off the house can't happen like it did to houses here 20 years ago. Also, we have a fireplace and two ricks of wood we can use if needed.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
sending you a pm for a vendor we used.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OK. Like a fair amount of you, We live out in the sticks. Between Drumright and Bristow. 2650SqFt house with 30x40 shop 20 yards from main house. Home is 400amp service. Home is all electric and between the house and shop we have 6 A/C units with heat. Also have a big wood stove (not connected with vent pipe yet). We decided we needed a standby generator after speaking with our neighbor who said they've gone more than two weeks without power about 15 years ago and many more 2-3 day strectchs during the winter. Neighbor also mentioned when the power goes out our strectch of Hwy 16 is not a priority and is typically last to get it restored. Our biggest concerns with power loss are winter storms but did lose power a month ago for 3-4 hours during the really hot time.

I put in a request for quote to Generac. Got two companies to give me quotes. First was a company out of OKC (don't remeber their name) Sales guy came out and was great. Provided a bunch of knowledge and gave full quote. I was impressed. However, the quote came back at $18K. The next week Generator Super Center sent their sales guy out and was just as good and helpful. Explained the full process and how their systems work, etc. He gave me a quote for $24K. Both companies said due to the size of our home and being all electric and what we wanted connected we really should be spec'd about a 60Kw water cooled unit.

The big water cooled generator wasn't going to happen so we were quoted their latest and biggest air-cooled 24Kw. Due to the smaller size generator we wanted we had the upstairs AC/heater locked out and several of the other large appliances are load managed.

Right or wrong, we heard that Generator Super Center/Faith Electric was a great company to do business with and seemed to have great reviews so when they price matched the other company we knew nothing about we we went with them. As mentioned, our price was $18K. Our house was not a typical install due to the amount of load management modules we needed and the additional 155' of digging they did to put in the electrical lines from the main electrical panels on the house to where the generator sits. We also have a 7 year warranty and have full generator monitoring 24/7 by Generac. We a 1000 gallon propane tank to feed the generator. This should give us just over three weeks of power if run continuosly and we are a bit mindful of how we live during a prolonged outage.

No, the price wasn't cheap at all, but peace of mind the generator gives us and knowing the value-add to our property makes it very worth it to us. For those thinking about getting a whole home unit, I'd highly recommend it.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
What is everyone take on Generac? Or what is better?
Got a GENERAC 22K whole house from Faith Electric at the state fair. They are now The Generator Super center.
It was 10K with $500 knocked off after scheduling it at the fair. I even got a free GENERAC power washer. Both machines have run great and I would do it over again. We financed it through them through some kind of home improvement loan program. No interest for a year. We paid the note off in half the time. We were the only house in my neighborhood that had power during the ice storm during Halloween years ago. It ran for 24 days straight in the cold weather and kept our whole house running.

We have had the unfortunate incident before, losing an entire freezer of beef over a weekend when we were gone from the house.

Latest posts

Top Bottom