who's the local m1a expert

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
i've tried 3 different sets of rings and sent the scope back to bushnell already... its the receiver or mount. and if it is the receiver why get the sadlak custom formed, couldn't i send the gun back to springfield.

they might be willing to make the scope mount milspec but i dont know for sure, it would probably be easier to have sadlak make the mount fit your gun not the gun fit your mount

grwd

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Sounds like you dove tail adaptor is too far to the left. Re-center it and you should be a lot closer. What is happening is your scope is sitting with the front too far to the right and the rear too far left. I am willing to take a look at it, but it would be after the High Plains Shotgun Match on the 10th and 11th. If you are interested give me a p.m. and we can work it out. KurtM

behold, the M1A expert.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Um - not to hijack this thread, but... some Springfield Armory M1A receivers are not mil spec? Is this deliberate, or is SA getting sloppy? How do you make sure you buy a M1A that is mil spec, if you don't have a test kit handy?

Nightops

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Um - not to hijack this thread, but... some Springfield Armory M1A receivers are not mil spec? Is this deliberate, or is SA getting sloppy? How do you make sure you buy a M1A that is mil spec, if you don't have a test kit handy?

Really no SAI receiver is mil spec, since they are cast then machined from their own drawings, instead of hammer forged and held fully to proper M14 dimensions. Some SAI receivers have the groves cut in the side that are too small, and some are too wide, but most are just fine. The Sadlak pin kit is the best way to tell if it is in spec or not, and only costs $5 plus shipping, outside of that, you could eyeball if you had seen enough M14 style receivers and trust your visual acuity, but really the pin kit is the best (even though I don't have them yet).

I would also strongly suggest you measure the receiver before purchasing a Smith Enterprise mount, as they operate under the assumption that ALL receivers from SAI are machined with the groove too small, and when they modify their mounts for this, they do not attach properly to receivers that are in spec or oversize.

As far as getting SAI to replace the receiver as a warranty issue with the grooves being out of spec, you can certainly try, their warranty support is outstanding. I recently purchased a SAI loaded that the rear sight peep hole was not concentric with the aperture, and on just an email they FedEx'd out a new aperture to me. But there is a big difference between replacing a receiver and replacing an aperture. Also I'm not sure how much of the side of the receiver the SAI scope mount uses, I've never used one of their mounts due to the widespread experience and belief that their mounts are junk that shoot loose.

Traxxis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
isint it $5 for one? Springfield doesnt have to make the scope rail per mil spec so alot of them are out of spec and sadlak will custom fit your mount to your rails dimensions.

This is interesting... I've got a Springer right now that I'm trying to figure out.

My problem is simple... after two of the same mounts (both china-made... yeah, I know), the legs of the mount seem to be too long which is causing it to be too tight. A little bit of file work on the mount and I was able to get the mount half-way on, however when I do, there was a noticable gap between the face of the mount and receiver mount face... 1/16th maybe?

What say y'all?

Cimarron

Marksman
Reaction score
I know this is an old thread but I have a Sadlak airborn mount on my M1A Loaded. I installed it without problems. I have a Leupold VXR Patrol mounted with Leupold Mark IV rings. I torqued everything according to spec and have had no issues so far. I have plenty of adjustment up/down and right/left.

Latest posts

Top Bottom