Why are Camaro and Mustang owners driving in this weather?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have two Land Rovers that usually can get me there. For what they cost and what you get a Subaru can't be beat. We paid 21K for my wife's Forester new and it was K's lower priced than most used ones in other brands. Gets 27 mpg at interstate speeds, has one of the best crash protection ratings, one of the most dependable of any car, has one of the highest resale values. The dealer in Edmond had some on the lot that were lifted with bigger tires and rims that looked pretty sharp. If the snows gets real deep it doesn't have the ground clearance but, the Land Rovers do.

Most of those are LP Adventure packages. If it weren't for towing the boat I'd have an LP Adventure Outback. Well, that and the CVT trans. My dream rig would be a fully kitted LP Adventure Outback with an STI engine and a Porsche PDK transmission.

Actually, this would be my dream ride. :D

1981er-Porsche-911-SC-von-Kelly-Moss-169Gallery-36972245-1698867.jpg

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
All my life, I made fun of people who bought 4 WD and never got off the pavement... guess who has 4 WD now, and never gets off the pavement!? :rollingla

In all fairness, your choices are pretty limited these days in 2 WD trucks. I told the sales guy up front I didn't really need or want 4 WD. Every time we'd say, what about <insert option>? He'd say, yes we have one with that, but it's 4 WD.

I'm sure we could have found a 2 WD if we'd looked harder... I'm not necessarily anti 4 WD, I just don't really need it. Sure was nice yesterday, though...

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I fixed too many busted 4 wheel drive vehicles right out of high school for all my friends that had them.
I hated them and had a 4x4 jeep for 2 days only to resale it.
I have no desire for 4 wheel drive and I bet I have taken my 2 wheel drives to places many of you guys would not take your 4x4's.
But i do run mud and snow tires on my cars and a good posi traction rear end and knowing how to drive makes a huge difference.

My sons VW diesel with traction control would not go up a 10 degree snowed in driveway yesterday.
I took my corolla through it then drove through the grass plowing snow and into the street off the curb and back up and around.
None of that abs or traction control.
My 57 chevy goes through that stuff just fine also as did my 78 Nova and my 72 chevelle and 1982 Mustang.
All had posi track and wide spacing on the tire treads.

On the traction control on the VW we watched the front tires and as it is front wheel drive and one would spin then the other would start spinning but at a different speed then one would stop and all the time it is sitting in the same place not moving forward.
JUNK!
I will take old school any day.
Not that the 1995 corolla is old school.

I will say most people can't drive though.

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Times like these sometime make me wish I hadn’t lowered my AWD Vehicle. Yes makes me feel that way 5-10 days total of the last 6 years since I lowered it. [emoji23]

I’m not having any issues getting around. But, I know my limitations.

IMG_2557.jpg

Cowbaby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I lived in Northern Va for a few years where the snow and Ice pretty much stayed on the ground all winter when I was younger. I had a 500 dollar Datsun B210 coupe with a set of studded snow grips on the back. I cut the emergency brake cable and made two handles for turning brakes like a tractor, one for each wheel. Coverted the heater core over to a bigger one out of a Ford dump truck.

That little puppy was a snow and ice eatin machine and never left me stranded anywhere. Used that rustbucket POS for 4 years and sold it for the same 500 dollars I paid for it when I left.

Last edited:

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
The best car I ever had for snow and ice was a VW Beetle back in the early 80’s. I have a new Accord 2.0 now that I’m sure would do OK with front wheel drive but I just sit by the window and wait for the spring thaw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I fixed too many busted 4 wheel drive vehicles right out of high school for all my friends that had them.
I hated them and had a 4x4 jeep for 2 days only to resale it.
I have no desire for 4 wheel drive and I bet I have taken my 2 wheel drives to places many of you guys would not take your 4x4's.
But i do run mud and snow tires on my cars and a good posi traction rear end and knowing how to drive makes a huge difference.

My sons VW diesel with traction control would not go up a 10 degree snowed in driveway yesterday.
I took my corolla through it then drove through the grass plowing snow and into the street off the curb and back up and around.
None of that abs or traction control.
My 57 chevy goes through that stuff just fine also as did my 78 Nova and my 72 chevelle and 1982 Mustang.
All had posi track and wide spacing on the tire treads.

On the traction control on the VW we watched the front tires and as it is front wheel drive and one would spin then the other would start spinning but at a different speed then one would stop and all the time it is sitting in the same place not moving forward.
JUNK!
I will take old school any day.
Not that the 1995 corolla is old school.

I will say most people can't drive though.

No disrespect Swampratt but apparently you don't play where I've played over the years. I doubt you would take your corolla where we use to elk hunt around Crawford CO in the 80's. The greasy mud where we hunt antelope around Lamar CO makes lockers look useless. Heck, there's probably some terraces/sandstone formations on my dads place your corolla couldn't follow me over or up. Not to mention the sugar sand you get into in some locations.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
746659BE-D0D8-43CF-9B81-1E46F257CB5A.jpeg
I used to take this 500hp money pit out in the snow with summer high performance tires on it. Had exactly 4 1/2 inches of clearance under the front lip and I scraped leaving my driveway if I wasn’t careful. I did also have a land cruiser at the time, but the M was wayyy more fun.

56BA129E-0376-40DB-95BF-6D61884BD3D4.jpeg

now look at me. Driving a bone stock truck getting cocky, put the truck in the drive sideways because I could. A lot of driving in weather is about driving modestly. Having too much capability makes you cocky and do dumb stuff just because you can. I think of Robert Heinlen talking about surviving a battle royale naked with a knife vs with an assault rifle and body armor. It’s a lot easier to mess up when you think you’re invincible.

Latest posts

Top Bottom