Why are Camaro and Mustang owners driving in this weather?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glock 40

Problem Solver
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was out in my 4x4 work truck again today for work. As I tried to leave my neighborhood a person in a tiny mini or fiat was stuck in about 3 inches of snow. 2 guys were out helping push the tiny car. I sat there watching, already had to help a lady yesterday so I could get around here to do my job. Today I figured if you got stuck there your gonna get stuck somewhere else so that car shouldn't be out on the road. I just watched till they got it pushed out on the clear road. I am certain that car is stuck somewhere else now.

Also todays 4x4s are a lot different than 4x4s of old. I routinely will drive in 4x4 high in the rain for the added traction. Truck just hums along without a care in the world. I like knowing my front wheels are pulling vs just along for the ride.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I fixed too many busted 4 wheel drive vehicles right out of high school for all my friends that had them.
I hated them and had a 4x4 jeep for 2 days only to resale it.
I have no desire for 4 wheel drive and I bet I have taken my 2 wheel drives to places many of you guys would not take your 4x4's.
But i do run mud and snow tires on my cars and a good posi traction rear end and knowing how to drive makes a huge difference.

My sons VW diesel with traction control would not go up a 10 degree snowed in driveway yesterday.
I took my corolla through it then drove through the grass plowing snow and into the street off the curb and back up and around.
None of that abs or traction control.
My 57 chevy goes through that stuff just fine also as did my 78 Nova and my 72 chevelle and 1982 Mustang.
All had posi track and wide spacing on the tire treads.

On the traction control on the VW we watched the front tires and as it is front wheel drive and one would spin then the other would start spinning but at a different speed then one would stop and all the time it is sitting in the same place not moving forward.
JUNK!
I will take old school any day.
Not that the 1995 corolla is old school.

I will say most people can't drive though.
This “traction control” **** they are putting on vehicles is worthless ****! I spend lots of time “off-road” and in my experience with the traction control on Chevy and Dodge pickups that piss poor excuse for modern technology will get you in a jam. When I stomp the throttle I want 100% power to the wheels! I wouldn’t mash it to clean the tires and get the rpms up if I didn’t need to. I prefer my rpm and traction control to be managed by my foot. Thankfully they include a button to turn that ridiculous **** off.

Oh and knobs on the dash to engage 4wd, they can keep that **** too! If I suddenly start breakin through a soft spot I wanna be able to jerk that dude in 4wd and get some power thrown to the ground before I’m on the frame.

Last edited:

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This “traction control” **** they are putting on vehicles is worthless ****! I spend lots of time “off-road” and in my experience with the traction control on Chevy and Dodge pickups that piss poor excuse for modern technology will get you in a jam. When I stomp the throttle I want 100% power to the wheels! I wouldn’t mash it to clean the tires and get the rpms up if I didn’t need to. I prefer my rpm and traction control to be managed by my foot. Thankfully they include a button to turn that ridiculous **** off.

Oh and knobs on the dash to engage 4wd, they can keep that **** too! If I suddenly start breakin through a soft spot I wanna be able to jerk that dude in 4wd and get some power thrown to the ground before I’m on the frame.

That’s not an issue on my ZR2. If you push through it will overwhelm the TC and give you plenty of slip without the stability control breaking up the party. As soon as you put it in 4H or 4L, the TC is disabled completely.

On the dash knob, mine will move the shafts enough to engage while sitting still. Even on the move it will kick in as quickly as the traditional shift lever on my old 3rd Gen 4Runner.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That’s not an issue on my ZR2. If you push through it will overwhelm the TC and give you plenty of slip without the stability control breaking up the party. As soon as you put it in 4H or 4L, the TC is disabled completely.

On the dash knob, mine will move the shafts enough to engage while sitting still. Even on the move it will kick in as quickly as the traditional shift lever on my old 3rd Gen 4Runner.
Glad to hear your setup works! Newest Chevy I’ve tried is a 2015 and the dash knob 4wd doesn’t engage near as fast as the stick on the floor in other trucks.

MilitantBEEMER

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When I was a kid growing up in rural Illinois/Iowa in the late 80s and early 90s, we couldn’t wait for weather like this to take our v8 RWD sports cars out for some fun. Don’t remember ever getting stuck but if we did we didn’t care

CutBaitNBlowSh*tUp4ALivin

I like rimfire and rimfire accessories. Yup. Mmhmm
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The same black challenger has been stuck in front of my house twice this week. The owner gets pissed when the two guys in the back seat track snow into it after they had to get out and push. It's been entertaining. The only vehicle that has left my house since Thursday has 4LOW, with 275 profile all season tires, and weighs 6000 pounds with me in it lol. We're not quite snowed in. Well, the two sedans are but I don't like driving those anyways.

okie362

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
upload_2021-2-17_21-11-8.png

This one gets me around just fine. Haven't needed 4WD through this stuff yet let alone the lockers but it's nice to know they are there if I do.

Besides, it's what I wanted and I'm the one that paid for it.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Glad to hear your setup works! Newest Chevy I’ve tried is a 2015 and the dash knob 4wd doesn’t engage near as fast as the stick on the floor in other trucks.
Mine is a 2018. TBH, it may be because it’s more of a performance oriented 4x4 vs utility type? I know they can electronically tune certain parameters, I just don’t know if that applies to the transfer case. I love the truck and couldn’t be happier!

F0897A87-C0DB-44B3-8D19-53ACAA005266.jpeg

Latest posts

Top Bottom